Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 4 speed transmission rebuild & hardtop side plastic

vett62

Corvette
1962 340hp both tops
Can anyone help me with where to go to get a 4 speed 1962 corvette transmission rebuilt (California), or where I can go to purchase a 62 340HP solid lifter camshaft and lifters and 62 hardtop side plastic windows? Appreciate any help. I'm an experienced autotheft investigator with over 40 years experience on corvettes so if I can help, let me know. Chuck @ Vett62@aol.com

1. Look in the NCRS "Driveline" for guys who rebuild transmissions. If you have your original transmission, it's a Borg-Warner T10. They can be tricky to rebuild. Find somebody who knows these transmissions. Common problem is that they pop out of 3rd, 4th, and/or 2nd gear (in that order of commonality) under de-accleration. This can be tricky to fix. it's a fussy adjustment problem.

2. You can purchase the camshaft and hardtop side windows from the usual Corvete parts vendors. See Paragon, Corvette Central, Dr. Rebuild, Zip, Ecklers, Mid-America, etc.. If you only replace 1 window, the other one will look funny. These windows are dated. They are difficult to replace. The camshaft is one that takes solid lifters. Some people replace these with ones that take hydraulic lifters. If you want to stick with solids, some people like the later LT1 camshaft.

3. Can you run VINs on the NCIC, NICB, or NAT? How can I, Joe Civilian, confidentially run a VIN that is not in the usual format in order to determine whether that car was ever reported stolen?

The '62 solid-lifter cam (the "097" Duntov) was used from '57-'63, and is made by Federal-Mogul/Speed-Pro, their #CS-113R, or KC-113R as a kit with lifters. Also available from Performance Chevy in Phoenix, (800) 203-6621.

:beer

Reply to Critchie

1. Look in the NCRS "Driveline" for guys who rebuild transmissions. If you have your original transmission, it's a Borg-Warner T10. They can be tricky to rebuild. Find somebody who knows these transmissions. Common problem is that they pop out of 3rd, 4th, and/or 2nd gear (in that order of commonality) under de-accleration. This can be tricky to fix. it's a fussy adjustment problem.

2. You can purchase the camshaft and hardtop side windows from the usual Corvete parts vendors. See Paragon, Corvette Central, Dr. Rebuild, Zip, Ecklers, Mid-America, etc.. If you only replace 1 window, the other one will look funny. These windows are dated. They are difficult to replace. The camshaft is one that takes solid lifters. Some people replace these with ones that take hydraulic lifters. If you want to stick with solids, some people like the later LT1 camshaft.

3. Can you run VINs on the NCIC, NICB, or NAT? How can I, Joe Civilian, confidentially run a VIN that is not in the usual format in order to determine whether that car was ever reported stolen?
Critchie, There is no way to run a vin in any of the systems to determine the status if it is not in either the 13 or 17 digit format, with the exception of those items that had shorter vin's. NCIB and NCIC records go off line after a period of years which I cannot disclose for legal reasons. You would have to have the actual VIN to run and have someone in auto theft request a specific span of 5 years to run the vin to see if it had been reported stolen and or recovered. Are you concerned about a car that had been reported stolen and not recovered and been hidden out for say 10 years? The SVS, NCIB, and NCIC all have inquiry logging systems which log in the person who used the system to inquire on a VIN no matter when it was reported or even if it was not reported and these stay permanently on the system. So if someone inquired on a VIN that had been in the system but was taken out and it came up reported stolen on an off line inquiry, these agencies would go back to the inquiring agency terminal to determine who it was who inquired as they are all kept in a log system. Now you have to have a case number to run an inquiry. Violation of that leads to getting fired.:eyerole Sorry. Vett62 BTW I am looking for an NOS original or replacement 340hp solid lifter camshaft for my 1962 corvette and wonder who sells the original replacement or can grind one to the original specs. Thanks again Vett62

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom