Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

400 Small Block swap

R

rpounds

I am considering a swap in my '75 from a 350 to a 400 small block. I have an opportunity to pick up a 400 on the cheap (free), that I can take my time building up and stabbing at a later date.

Question . . . are the motor mounts in the same location for a 350 and a 400? Everything else should line up fine, but I have been told the mounts are different.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron

Chevy 400 small block mount bosses on block are in same position as Chevy 350 bosses ... simply use the same configuration motor mounts as in vette now. If it's a Pontiac 400 I wouldn't expect the same. Get the sbc 400, take your time, then enjoy! BTW, a 2-bolt main 400 (once fitted with aftermarket 4-bolt main caps) is stronger than a factory 4-bolt main 400. G'luck!
JACK:gap

Thank you. You have confirmed my thoughts.

I have heard that the 400 2 bolt main with studs and converted to 4 bolt with splayed caps are the way to go.

Thanks for the info.

Ron

You will also need a 400 harmonic balancer and flywheel as the small block 400's are externally balanced.

Burglar,

Thanks. That much I was aware of. Also, the 400 has the center two cylinders on each bank 'siamesed' which means that I have to use heads that have been drilled for steam holes.

Here's a question about the Harmonic Balancer . . . '75 Vettes use a small diameter damper in order to clear the front frame cross member. Do you know what the stock diameter damper is on a 400 small block and will it clear the cross member?

Thanks again,

Ron

GM part# 6272225. 8 inch. don't know the answer to your clearance question.

Dave

You shouldn't have a clearance problem - Vettes back to '63 used the 8" balancer on SHP small-block engines, and all frames from '65 up have clearance at the front crossmember for the big-block balancer, which is located further forward than the small-block balancer.

Thanks guys. This is all very good information. I live in Southern California and the engine is in Oregon. It belongs to the father of a friend of mine. I can have it for nothing more than the shipping costs. I have a few mixed feelings I guess about the swap, but the engine that's in the car is not original anyway. So I figure I can pick up some low end by rebuilding the 400 and sticking it in there in place of the current 350.

Thanks again for this information . . . now I have to go make that phone call . . .

Ron

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom