Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

454 going into my '70!

Paranoid

Corvette
1970 454 4sp Coupe
I picked up an '87 454 out of a Suburban earlier this week. I've been sorta looking the past six months and finally bit. The boss even approved the buy! :eek

The stock specs are 230HP @3800, torque 385ftlb @1600!

Maybe I can squeeze another 100+ ftlb out with a good cam, heads, intake and Hooker sidemounts!

Len

Len:
I saw the BB pics at other place ... I think you did great ... good luck with that pretty silver baby!
JACK:gap

Love the paint!

Nice Job... can't wait to see engine pics...

-Pieter

Thanks guys. This project is going to take a while.

After considering how much money it'd take to modify a 350 to get 450+HP there was no alternative except a BB. I know if I built a 400HP SB, I'd still be wanting that 500+ftlb of torque of a BB which is attainable.

Jack---who are you at that "other" place?

Len,

We have a 454 in our 1995 3500 series truck. It has the throttle body injection. Little did I know they would go to full multi port injection in the newer models.

Anyway, it is bone stock with about 92,000 miles on the clicker. It is not fast by any means, but it is STRONG. When I haul my car hauling trailer, it is so smooth and powerfull that you never even know it is back there.

We had a 454 in our 1989 Itasca 32' class A motor home. It had a carb and a turbo 400 trans. It had NO problem pushing that big box down the road.

So, like you, I can't wait to see what this heated up big block is going to do in the vette.

The good part is many of the parts interchange (motor mounts, distributors, brackets, etc. etc. )

You are going to have a blast.

Len,
Take it from a guy who knows. Their ain't nothing more fun than feeling the 454 pull & pull.

You don't even have to spend a ton to perk up the truck designated 454. Just get some low budget Hi Performance GM heads, throw in a good cam, a better intake, & a big Holley & it will give that Corvette a whole new personality.

Of course if you want to shoot for Top Gun status, follow along with 69MyWays posts, but don't get an itch that big to scratch. Thats Vettes slated to be a contender!!!

Oh & I dare ya to keep your foot out of it :r

Good Luck,
John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom