Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

4th Alternator in 2 months????

• Thread starter Thread starter 3sacrwd
  • Start date Start date
My battery tested OK. I went to tighten the ground that is located right to the battery compartment and found the bolt stripped. While I had the car jacked up looking for the nut (which I now know is actualy a self tapping screw). I noticed my O2 sensor cnnection was actually melted to my manifold. I think it may have been grounded out agains my manifold. I replaced my alternator with yet another new one, and lo and behold, I was getting 13.5 to 14 volts after I fixed my 02 bracket. I drove it about 10 miles after that and it ran pretty well and kept the voltage in the proper ranges.

I will reply back if it starts eating alts again

Thanks for all the replies.

Well, I spoke a little too soon. I went to start my car on Sunday, and the Battery was DEAD (2.4 V).....So, either my battery is bad and will not hold a charge, or something is still shorting out somewhere.....I am almost ( yes, I did say almost) ready to actually take it to the Dealer to have them diagnose it.....Agghhhhhhhh.

I will replace my battery with one from my RV next weekend and see if that battery gets discharged as well. Any other ideas, I would love to hear it.

Dead Battery Again

Batteries definitely get hurt a bit each time that they are completely discharged, so you may have damaged your battery. But I doubt the damage would cause the type of overnight discharge you just experienced.

If your battery dropped from 12.5 plus volts to 2.4 volts in a day or two you probably have a serious current drain from the car (hidden glove light on, stuck relay, etc.). Were you able to hook up an ammeter and measure the current draw from the battery? It should be less than 100 milliamps (ie, less than .1 amp). Ideally, it should be even less than that, like 30-50 milliamps. Since someone noted above that the car's computer can be responsible for a large current draw, try to measure the current draw without removing battery power even momentarily from the car, using the technique that I described previously in this thread.

You can somewhat verify that your battery is good by charging it up for 24 hours on an external charger and verifying that it can hold a charge. Measure the battery voltage about an hour after you have charged it up. The voltage should be about 12.6-12.8 volts. Then connect it to the car and start the car up. That will verify that you do not have any weak or shorted cells in the battery. Then disconnect the battery from the car and measure the voltage again (it should still be in the 12.6-12.8 volt range). Let the battery sit for 24-48 hours while disconnected from the car.

Measure the voltage after the sitting period, it should still be about the same as you measured 24-48 hours earlier. This verifies that your battery is capable of holding its charge while not being subjected to an excessive external current drain. Just as another verification, connect the battery to the car again and start the car up. If the car starts okay, then your battery is almost certainly okay.

You can do all of these tests without the hassle of removing the battery from the car and taking it out to be tested at a parts store.

Thanks for the reply. I will try that and report back.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom