Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

5 point harness bar

400hp_76

Corvette
Black 1976 STINGRAY cpe, T-tops
What are several companies that make the bars. And does anyone have a harness bar in their car...if so i would like some pics. I am planning on fabbing one up. Its not a real difficult concept. I would appreciate your pics and info. thanks, tyler

Shark Bar I
http://www.c3sharktank.com/store/store.html
sharkbar1in.jpg

We had a welder friend fabricate the roll hoop in our 71 coupe. We wanted it to stiffen the car a little, offer some protection and allow us to bolt up the 5-pt harnesses. We have just enough clearance to get the rear window out...not a 1/4" to spare.

With the seats back most people don't even realize we have the bar. There are more pictures of the fabrication on our website.

00000491.jpg

I put a sharkbar into my '79, Tyler
http://www.c3sharktank.com/store/11.html

It was well engineered, the instructions were clear and it only took me about 4 hours to do the work. I also found that the bar stiffens the body which compliments the new suspension system I installed.
The 5 point harness is very safe and comfortable and the whole set-up looks great (imho)
Michael

I made a rear bar similar to the shark bar using steel strap and 4130 tube. I started by making the brackets that replace the upper and lower attach points of the stock belt then clamped a piece of bar stock between the two points, marked and drilled the bar. Next I marked the position of the cross tube. I then welded the tube to the bar and added 1/8" round stock belt retainers to the tube. The rear (lower) bracket is an "L" shape to add height to where the flat bar meets the bracket. The front (upper) bracket is a shallow flattened out "S" bracket. I had to put a large wrench on the upper bracket and twist the front edge out some so the flat stock that welds to the tube would be parallel with the other side and in line with the lower bracket. Since I removed my stock belts I Had to make new brackets for the lap belts using 1/8" flat steel. These mount to the original belt bolts. The method that I used is not the only way, I used surplus helicopter belts so I even had to make the buckles that hold the shoulder harness around the tube. I also made the anti-submarine bracket that mounts between the two front seat track bolts. You can make the bracket a couple of different ways. I recommend taking a little time looking the car over and planning how you will build the setup and how it will fit and be square. It wasn't a hard job but it took about three days to fit, fabricate and paint all parts. Sorry I don't have any pictures but if you plan to build your own I can give you more detail on how I built mine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom