Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

50 state legal?

J

johnny

Maby someone can explain what that means? can you remove you airpump in all the states or in not one of the states? I understand that California is the most difficult state of all, but what about the other states?

86 tpi zf-6 Modified L98 270hp & 317 lb.ft Rearwheelpower

I could be wrong...

...but that never stopped me from answering! ;)

CA does have the toughest smog laws of all 50 states, but I'm not sure about the air pump removal. I am under the impression that if the vehicle came with it, you cannot remove it, unless or until the vehicle reaches a certain age (25?) and becomes smog exempt.
Silver

other states may have different requirements, I am only going by what I know of from living in CA and WA. (WA had no smog laws)

my 2 cents....

it's my understanding that you have to retain the smog pump but what most do is gut it out so it's free rolling just on the bearings itself and it acts more like an idler arm than anything....atleast its this way in maryland that you gotta keep'em on the car :(

In Oregon they no longer look under your hood. They dyno the car and if it passes that is all that matters. I suppose if you could pass without the air pump all would be okay. Since we only get checked once every two years it is a pretty easy matter to remove it and then replace it before the test. Don't know what advantage that is but it is an option. I suppose like one person said it is probably technically illegal just as it is illegal to remove cats. Even if you aren't checked by DEQ. But not very likely to get caught at it if you are determined to do it.

One point might be noted. There is nothing magic about that 25 year limit. At least here in Oregon they adjust that "limit" when ever they require more money. I was driving a '75 Pontiac with a holly 4 barrel, dual exhaust, no cats, etc. Suddenly the move struck them to check back to 1975. That was conincidental with them opening a bunch of new stations with dynos, etc. :) So I had to bail out of the Pontiac. So far my Vettes fly through DEQ with no problems. Even the '86 with no pre-cats. :)

Interesting timing on this thread. I heard today that there is an investgation going on about DEQ not being accurate. Turns out some test cars were being take around to different stations and getting wildly conflicting results. Opps! :)

Thank you all, for the reply.

So, it could be risky too get ridt of the EGR and the cats.

86 tpi zf-6 Modified L98 270hp & 317 lb.ft Rearwheelpower

EGR? Cats? Air Pump? What are these things of which you speak? They are not to be found on my engine. :L

_ken :w

EGR = exhaust gas recirculation, a means of lowering combustion temperature by pumping inert (non combustable exhaust gas) into your intake. It can take up to 30Vol% of your intake charge, thus decreasing performance.

EGR & Cats are for the birds..who needs them. Especially here in Europe, you can pass emissions without them! (if car is older than 89)

Marck

Hey Marck, I hope you have a better sense of "tongue-in-cheek" humor in The Netherlands than you let on here. :L

Huh??? Please explain!

Marck

I was joking when I made that comment about the cats, egr, etc... My new engine will have none of that equipment on it, and it will definitely not be "legal" in any of the fifty states (for the road that is).

Ahh..yes :D I saw the little wit in your post ;) mine was a little more serious comment to the matter.

I never ran the emissions crap too.. I owned my vette for about 10 hours when I removed that stuff.. cluttering up the engine compartment. Who needs it!

My engine won't have anything emissions legal on it too...If I fail I'll buy a case of beer for the guy doing the tests and I'll add some alcohol to the fuel ;) all his gauges will read 0. Never had problems passing emissions, I had 5.0%CO once (I had a totally screwd up crossfire, modded to the max.. ran like crap) and still passed.. people were dropping dead at my tailpipes ;)

I'm no treehugger...that's for sure!

Marck

last i heard........

now this has been a few years but in cali they were opting to change the smog laws to what Bob said about Oregon. No need to look for emission #'s just if it passes it passes........jeez i wish every state would do that! Matter of fact i gotta get my emissions done this month! I don't think maryland looks under the hood but they do run the mirror around the car to make sure the exhaust is stock. For late model F-bodies you can't run true duals here in maryland legally even with 2 cats and it's hard to find a muffler shop willing to do it but i have seen 2 and only 2 at the track with true duals one had it breaking out before the rear tires with resonators only the other one actually ran all the way back and looked stock.....don't know what they did for emissions though :(

BTW Johnny i love the color and rims on your vette do you have a larger pic of her? and is that the original paint?

50 state legal

The DEQ here in Oregon used to look under the hood, check all the vacum hoses, run a mirror under the car, etc. When they got the dyno stations they quit doing that. I asked them how loud is loud? They told me they don't care how loud it is as long as it passed the test. :)
I have an '85 with the main cat and two ZR-1 mufflers (?) and it sounds almost as loud as my '55 w/glass paks. Right through the DEQ without skipping a beat.

However, that said I might add that the muffler shops around here still will not modify a muffler system and they also insist on welding everything together. Mumbling something about a law that mandates they do that. It's probably the same law that mandates that Les Schwab install 4 snow tires instead of 2. Probably written by their insurance companies.

Since I am driving Corvettes now I have no need of muffler shops anyway. These mufflers are so easy to work on I would be ashamed to take them to a muffler shop. :)

WA (and CO basically) does the dyno thing as well. As long as it passes the sniff test, they really dont care.

I have heard a couple people say that they were doing spot inspections on the highways (not freeways). They would pull you over, and check for cats, and maybe something else.

I like to be able to breath, but the way I see it is if you can tune it to run clean, who cares what you have under the hood and for exhaust.

Just my $$0.0002 (taxes you know)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom