Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

55 questions

93Polo

We are having a discussion among our local corvette owners and had a couple of questions?

How many 55 3 speeds were made? 7
Also how many 55s rolled out the door with a blue flame 6? I thought a couple few sold

Is there a webpage with the info?

Thanks,
Lamar

93Polo said:
We are having a discussion among our local corvette owners and had a couple of questions?

How many 55 3 speeds were made? 7
Also how many 55s rolled out the door with a blue flame 6? I thought a couple few sold

Is there a webpage with the info?

Thanks,
Lamar
I don't think they kept track of different drive trains for the '55, just a total of 700 sold for that model year. For more info, go to:
http://www.100megsfree4.com/corvette/1950/vet55.htm

You can check out what information is available on our own archives. Here's a link... CLICK!

-Mac

Fact is that nobody knows :) I've always heard that there were at least 6 and maybe as many as 20 1955 6 cylinders, which were identical to the 54's, 6 volt electrics and all.

3 speeds came LATE in 55 production...near the end. Again nobody knows, but maybe 15-20 cars. Chuck

Thanks, Dad has a friend with a red 55 3speed. He's tried to buy the car but seller will not let it go. :beer That was 30 years ago. We still ask from time to time but the price now would be so high we couldn't get it anyway now.

93 Polo

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but the book, Corvette, 50th Anniversary by the auto editors of consumer guide says that all but 6 of the 55's were V8's. It also states that "about" 75 Corvettes were fitted with the 3 speed manual in 55.
Ol Blue
http://www.knology.net/~corvettes/63vett.jpg

WOW!! 1955 3-speeds are close to my heart. There has been little done to really document these. I know of several bogus 3-speeds in earlier serial numbers, some of which people try to pass them off as "prototypes." It has long been said that there were 75 3-speeds produced at the end of the production run, this being based on the shipment records of automatic transmissions to St. Louis.

I don't believe this to be too acurate, however. I personally know of several later 1955's that are documented automatics. Numbers 660, 664, and 675 are original 1955's still sporting their original automatics. #675 is a dead original harvest gold car, and it has an automatic!!! I believe it is also the last production automatic.

I know of and have owner contact information in regards to #677, which has all the "secret" markings known to only a few people on how to document a real 3-speed body!!! I believe this is the oldest surviving 3-speed.

So as far as I am concerned, there were 25 production 3-speeds, from #676 to #700. There are probably a few cars sporting a 3-speed which "may" be prototypes, but documentation is the only to prove their originality and value!!!

I have recorded information over the years on the existance of 9 of the last 25 cars...all of which have 3-speed transmissions.

93POLO...I would love to have any information about that car that belongs to your Dad's friend. I would REALLY love to know what the serial number is. I have an obsession with 3-speeds, and knowing more about that one would be great. I've got a gut feeling that I don't know about this one. I know of several long-time owned 1955's, but none that are 3-speeds.

Welcome to the CAC vettecityman53. I just got home from your city yesterday. It's nice to have another member aboard that is obviously knowledgable about the early solid axle cars.

I pulled a '61 283/270 out of a red '55 in 1975. The car also had a 4 speed fitted but I left that in there when I put in a '55 265. The stick transmission and clutch pieces looked to be factory installed and I believe it was a real 3 speed car. It wasn't mine and I unfortunately don't have the VIN. It was a straight never hit original red car that was repainted once and had the aftermarket hardtop installed. For $3600. it could have been mine but I didn't have that kind of money back then.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom