Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

572 Project update

Yeah...that'll be cool..we can all take turns wheelen that 572 Monster around in Rillo's Parking lot directly after Cocktail Hour....;LOL

It look' as though it is going to be less expensive to use the 572. You see gas is already more then 6$ a gallon here in Canada, but since you would only need the center carb to make your donuts, it will turn out costing only 2$ a spin. :boogie

Here's is two dollars worth.
o

Stepinwolf

wow, you were not kidding about the not for dial-up part. ;)

The engine sounds great. Are you going to have to do body work to make room for the exhausts coming out from the center like that?

Jason

Jason,

I finally got around to getting the exhaust system completed. Here is what the exit's look like.

With 4" tubes there is no doubt as to how the gases exit, kind'a like what comes out of a semi.

Thank's for asking
Stepinwolf

I fabricated the complete exhaust system front to rear, using 3" mandrel bent pipes. I tig welded everything together, in sections ( every one is removable without damage ) and then covered the cockpit area with high temperature header tape to keep the heat in the cabin area to a minumum. The use of the larger 3" exhaust system, did however, force me to fabricate a new center cross member, which became a pain in the butt.

Bob:

Did you make the "band" clamps for your exhaust?
When I built the 2.5" stainless exhaust system for my '62 I used the same method using mandrel bends. I used some commercially available wide band type clamps at the joints. After I ran the car for a while I noticed that there were some small exhaust leaks around some of the clamps. The leaks were occurring around the pipes at the point where the bands are tightened. Hard to tell exactly from your picture, but yours look to be a different design from the ones I used.

Charles

Charles,

The clamps are commercialy available from "Walker " in assorted sizes. I have also seen them ( although I didn't need ) in stepped sized, ex. 3" to 2.1/2".

They seal extremly well, but I have taken the precaution of wrapping a few turns of the high temp tape, under the clamp, before clamping it down tight. I have not seen any leakage what so ever, using these types of clamps.

With these clamps, ( butt end to end ) there is no need to insert one exhaust pipe into another, there by eliminating the damage, ( weld nibs, clamp restriction, etc. ) and replacement hassels, often seen when one exhaust section needs to be removed, or replaced.

Stepinwolf

Very Nice Bob...Look sweet. Do you have any shots of the engine compartment and some pic's of the car ..? I'd love to see how the "572" set's in the engine bay.

Also ..did you have any clearence problems with the A/C compressor touching the passenger side fender well?

Very Nice Bob...Look sweet. Do you have any shots of the engine compartment and some pic's of the car ..? I'd love to see how the "572" set's in the engine bay.

Also ..did you have any clearence problems with the A/C compressor touching the passenger side fender well?

Mark,

Check in this evening for a few compartement close-up's. As for the AC, it was extremely close, but I removed a few offending lugs, :bang just to be on the safe side.

Later,,,

Stepinwolf

Mark,

As requested, here are a few more under hood pics

This engine would not work with a regular steering box. I installed a R+P, with a home made kit that I welded up myself.

One other criticall area was next to the idler arm bracket bolt. There was no contact, but just to be on the safe side, I made a slight dent in the pipe.

Distributor has just enough room, with out interfering with the wiper motor

I ended up having to remove no less then three lugs on the compressor

Drive safe

Stepinwolf

Mark,

As requested, here are a few more under hood pics

This engine would not work with a regular steering box. I installed a R+P, with a home made kit that I welded up myself.

One other criticall area was next to the idler arm bracket bolt. There was no contact, but just to be on the safe side, I made a slight dent in the pipe.

Distributor has just enough room, with out interfering with the wiper motor

I ended up having to remove no less then three lugs on the compressor

Drive safe

Stepinwolf

Yep... Had some of the same probles with the 502. Looks like your using "Sanderson Block Hugger Headers" They made my pasenenge rside header 3 times in order to get the bend correct to clear the idler arm bolt..(Pictured). Thye do nice work.

I had "Hot Rod Air" Machine off the rear lower mounting lug to clear the fender well also as a pre fit showed an inter fearence problem.

I did end up with just enough clearence for the steering box though and added a little heat shield protection. seems to work ok . Didn't have any MSD Tach Drive dist problems. Had enough clearence.

Nice work Bob..:cool

Mark,

Thank's for your kind words, I am inspired by the type of work you do yourself.

By the look of our parts, it look's as though we are shopping at the same supermarket. :boogie

Looking forward to meeting up with you in a little while. I was told that we are once again pared up for the Friday night eat fest, at Rillio's. Please include me in your traveling arrangements, if it's possible.

Drive safe

Stepinwolf

Bob:

Are you bringing your 572 to Carlisle? If so, do you know where you will be parking?

Charles

Bob:

Are you bringing your 572 to Carlisle? If so, do you know where you will be parking?

Charles

Sorry Charles,

The car was sold and paid for, more then a year ago. Initially it was to be delivered to the customer on his wedding anniversary " July 31st 2007 ", and if my workload doesen't let up, I will be hard pressed to get it to him this year.

Everything that was done on this " Resto-Mod " took five times longer then on a normal rebuild. Please check out the attacheds pictures of the dash cluster, and G/B door, to see what I mean.

I will post some pics of the completed Corvette, when it is completed

P.S. As for ever bringing it to the show, it might be someting to consider in a few years.

Stepinwolf

Bob
that instrument cluster and GB door look nice!
I really like those gauges. I always thought the white gauges looked good in the C2's against the black cluster surface but that is very nice and unique.

Thank you Barry,

The reason I went with this combo for the gauges, is because the complete interior is done in Green and White. Since this color option was not factory available in 67, I kept the color theme, through out the entire interior.

The lettering on the cluster ( it can't be seen in these photos ) is green, and also the backlighting for each instrument is done in Green.

Autometer did not offer the speedometer in kilometers ( KPH ) with the carbon fiber background, so they offered to make one up specially for me. Sadely the coloring on the background, could not be made with the yellow slash marks, as seen on the other gauges. It was a kind of take it this way, or leave it, type of decision, so as you can see, I " took it " :confused

Stepinwolf

Bob
I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it but now I do see if you look closely enough that the cluster lettering is green. Very nice touch to go with the green and white interior theme. Sweet!
It's little detail things like that that make such a difference between a run-of-the-mill car and a truely great one.
people like you, Rich L., John McGraw and a few others that really take the time to make sure all the little detail stuff is so nice and in proper theme with the car is what sets you apart from the masses and why the cars you guys build are so special.

BTW, if it helps any, I hadn't even noticed the lack of the yellow slash marks on the speedo until you mentioned it. I wouldn't sweat it.

Mark,

Thank's for your kind words, I am inspired by the type of work you do yourself.

By the look of our parts, it look's as though we are shopping at the same supermarket. :boogie

Looking forward to meeting up with you in a little while. I was told that we are once again pared up for the Friday night eat fest, at Rillio's. Please include me in your traveling arrangements, if it's possible.

Drive safe

Stepinwolf

Heh Bob, Sorry for the late reply. Yes I see we were shoping in the same palce for parts. Not to many shops to chosse from when you go over 500 "CID":D

Also..It'll be my pleasure to pick you up and return you again for dinner.
I have a phone number here for you ending in 2492. I forget..is that your cell or home? If it's not your cell, plese PM me with the cell number for Carlisle.

:beer

Mark,

Thank you in advance for the shuttle, however will will have to make arrangements on the fairgrounds, since my cell won't work out of the country. I will be at my usual vendor space, so I am certain our paths will cross.

Drive safe

Stepinwolf

Mark,

Thank you in advance for the shuttle, however will will have to make arrangements on the fairgrounds, since my cell won't work out of the country. I will be at my usual vendor space, so I am certain our paths will cross.

Drive safe

Stepinwolf

See you thier:beer

572 intake

.... I will be at my usual vendor space.....
Stepinwolf

Bob:

I know I discussed this with you some time ago, but I am again leaning toward putting an injection system on my engine, so do you still have the 572 intake manifold for sale?
Would you be able to bring it to Carlisle?
What is your vendor space number?

Charles

Charles, if memory serves me correctly, we had discussed the purchase, along with the asking price, quite a while ago. However since I had not received any responce ( one way or the other ) from you, I advertised it locally, and it sold out the same week.

Sorry that I am no longer able to help. :confused

Good luck in finding

Regards
Bob

Charles, if memory serves me correctly, we had discussed the purchase, along with the asking price, quite a while ago. However since I had not received any responce ( one way or the other ) from you, I advertised it locally, and it sold out the same week.

Sorry that I am no longer able to help. :confused

Good luck in finding

Regards
Bob

I thought I had sent you an email or PM last year saying that I had decided to go another route on the injection and did not want the manifold, but I am having another change of thought. Just thought I would check. No problem.
Charles

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom