Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

6 speed auto w/ paddle shifter in 06 C6

LT4man

Corvette
96 Collectors Edition LT4
Wow, I heard this might be happening. According to Chevy's order sheet it is available with a 2.56 gear. I know a lot of you have been looking for this. This should make some other car makers take notice.

Save The Wave! :w

gear ratio comparision of 6 speed manual/6 speed Z51 manual and the 6 speed automatic.

First:
2.66 6 speed manual
2.97 6 speed Z-51
4.02 6 speed AUTOMATIC

Second:
1.78 6 speed manual
2.07 6 speed Z-51
2.36 6 speed AUTOMATIC

Third:
1.30 6 speed maual
1.43 6 speed Z-51
1.53 6 speed AUTOMATIC

Fourth:
1.00 6 speed manual
1.00 6 speed Z-51
1.15 6 speed AUTOMATIC

Fifth:
0.74 6 speed manual
0.71 6 speed Z-51
0.85 6 speed AUTOMATIC

Sixth:
0.50 6 speed manual
0.57 6 speed Z-51
0.67 6 speed AUTOMATIC

Reverse:
2.90 6 speed manual
3.28 6 speed Z-51
3.06 6 speed AUTOMATIC

Final drive ratio:
3.42 6 speed manual
3.42 6 speed Z-51
2.56 6 speed AUTOMATIC

2.56*x6L80E = [10.31, 6.05, 3.92, 2.95, 2.18, 1.71
(*expected axle with A6)
2.73*x4L65E = [ 8.35, 4.45, 2.73, 1.91] (*current std A4 axle)
3.15*x4L65E = [ 9.64, 5.13, 3.15, 2.21] (*current hi perf A4 axle)
3.42*xT56 = [ 9.10, 6.09, 4.45, 3.42, 2.53, 1.71] (*current M6 axle)

Anyone have a dimensioned drawing of the six-speed transaxle? The most critical dimension that I need is the length from the face of the transmission (the mating surface where the torque tube/bellhousing attaches) to the centerline of the output shafts.

Actually, if anyone has the same spec for the manual transaxle, that would be a great help, too...

Thanks,
Joe

I drove one last night....whow!!!!!!! I like the paddles, particulary in the corners. I like it better than the 6 speed manual.

76texvette said:
I drove one last night....whow!!!!!!! I like the paddles, particulary in the corners. I like it better than the 6 speed manual.

I bet its amazing yet I have not driven one.

Any chance you could give your driving impression and why you think its the best choice?

Thanks in advance

JB

6 speed auto

JBsC5 said:
I bet its amazing yet I have not driven one.

Any chance you could give your driving impression and why you think its the best choice?

Thanks in advance

J
B
had 03 auto 05 6 speed man 06 6 speed auto it will take time to know witch is best so far 6 speed auto great

Test drove both - ordered manual. A6 is still an automatic. I'd rather have full control over the gearing...but that's just me.

Ha! The paddle shift is for sports car wanna-bes. My wife and both have C6 Vettes with manual transmissions, but she also has a family car (Chrysler 300M) with "auto-stick" and it seemed like it might be cool at first... But really it is just an automatic with extra electronics--fancy but not fun.
Corvette is going a strange direction there, following after other manufacturers 'sporty sedans'.

Just a thought here; so after 7 Corvettes with 4-speeds, no air,
no power steering, no power brakes, or anything else power;
buying an '06 with a 6-speed automatic and loaded doesn't
really make me a wannabe. Maybe next year you will see
the 6-speed automatic as a Z06 option.

TK53-
You know, maybe my comment was out of line. I don't mean to be rude, and I really can appreciate a couple neat things about your car: shifting is faster with an automatic than clutch, and the paddle shift is 6 speeds instead of the typical four. The real reason auto-trans isn't a typical race car feature is that it is a power waster--loss of horsepower in the transmission (and also less fuel efficient, though that is less critical). But what I found about the auto-stick was that I virtually NEVER use it (and neither does my wife)--we always drive the car in auto-trans mode. But that car is not a Corvette, so your long-term habits may be different...
Gersh

Gersh,
I appreciate your comments and when I think back of some of my best Corvettes, were the mid-years with a 4-speed on a warm summer night with
the top down shifting gears and hearing that small block scream! But
too many Camaros and Corvettes with Heavy-duty clutches have caused my
knee to tell me no more clutches! Unfortunate, but at least with this new
automatic I can still have some fun. And I really do miss shifting, but I
will say that 1st gear in this new Vette is so low, it really launches from a
dead stop. Next spring I will know for sure how it really does in the
quarter mile. Thanks!

I have a new 06 and have the paddle shift. It's fine but it seems to be slow shifting response. Is there anyone can say what to do to make it crisper?

Ron

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom