Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

6 Speed Vehicle Operation Survey

vetu4ya

Corvette
1999 Pewter Coupe
Under normal driving conditions, before bringing your C5 to a stop, do you:

1. Gear down to reduce speed, then apply brakes
2. Shift into neutral and apply brakes, while in neutral
3. Some combination of 1. and 2.

a combination of both. i guess it really depends on the situation...and my mood.:s

"Heel & toe" downshift. If I'm lazy then I'll brake and downshift before a stall.

I usually do a combination of both. However, one thing I do know, new brake pads are cheaper than a new clutch!

Apply the brakes and put in the clutch when I stop. Brake pads are a lot cheaper than a new transmission.;LOL :w :pat

Some combination of the 2 however I find if it is for a traffic light or similar, I put it in neutral & brake.

Generally, I'll brake till about 1000rpm, then downshift, sometimes leaving the clutch in till I stop. I'll usually only heel-and-toe if I'm going down more than one gear or if I'm really getting on it already.

I still don't quite have the starting-up-from-a-stop thing down quite right. More often than not, when I get out of the car or if I come to a stop with the window down, I'll smell what I think is the clutch.

My Z06 is my first stick, so I still got a lot of learning to do. For someone like me who drives a bit on the aggresive side, I find that it will take me more time to equal up my skill set than it would for a more conservative driver.

Dennis :w

How much does a new clutch go for on a C5 anyway? How much are new brakes? I am looking at some C5's now and just trying to get some possible costs i will incurr.

I replaced my clutch @ about 80,000 mi. Z06 replacement kit +Z06 slave parts cost about $500.00. I had a speed shop friend replace it for another $500.00.
I reworked the breaks at about 100,000 mi. OTM break pads are about $180.00. I bought reybestos at the Auto parts store for about $45.00. I turned the rotors and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of wear. There was just a slight (less than 1/32”) lip that had to be shaved off.
Oh, and I do down shift down through the gears and let the engine slow the car down before using the breaks. So what others above are saying may in fact be true. But I beat the **** out of the clutch at the tracks also, so don’t go strictly by my experience.
I bought this car to drive, and drive it I do. Good luck with yours. :) Enjoy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom