Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

60 bellhousing

J60FI

Corvette
1960 Red on Red
To change or not to change.. that is the question.. I will have to rebuild my transmission soon. SO i have an opportunity to buy the correct number bell housing.. (1960 corvette / gm 10.5 alum #3764591 for $175). The one in place now is not the correct number.. from what i can tell the only differnce is the size of the opening where the clutch fork goes through. THe bellhousing that is on now is 3779553 X .

What you guys think.. since the tranny has to come out should I change the bellhousing?
:beer

Well, $175.00 isn't that much money. If the rest of your car is mostly correct it would be a smart purchase.

Tom

Buy it. If you don't use it, sell it for a profit. I've seen them go for more than $400.

Thanks.. good advice.. Most parts are numbes matching have only a few that are not.. transission is one of them.

I bought it. It will go on when the transmission is taken out. I will sell the one I have when its time.. it's for a 61 or 62..

Now on to the next issue.. The transmission needs to be rebuilt, the second gear startied poping out.. now wont go into second. Since the transmission is not numbers matching.. should I rebuild or look for a numbers matching one... Is there much of a difference in cost? I have seen them on Ebay for $1600-1999 for a rebuilt but am leary of buying on Ebay. I had a quote from a local shop to rebuild and it was $1600..

What you guys think?

Any suggestions on southern ontario Transmission rebuilders? Or where to get a rebuilt one ready to bolt on?

Can you do it yourself? Kits and repair manuals are available, pretty easy if you have tools and ability. Lock it two gears to loosen the main input shaft nut. press and heat to remove the speedo gear. don't forget to mearure it's location before removal. Good winter weekend project and the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Second gear problem may only be the syncros. replace them all.

Could also be worn engagement teeth on the gears or sliders. Call Ed Hartnett at (610) 623-9381, Lansdowne, Pennsylvania. A gentleman, and 1st-class transmission guy. :)

1600 dollars sounds extremely high for a rebuild. I had mine done by a local guy who also rebuilds transmissions for Jasper. We bought the rebuild kit from corvette central, which was 170 dollars. There is some kind of kit (I'm sure that someone else would know about) that goes in these transmissions to correct for the problem of it sliding out in second gear. Don't remember exactly what that was, but altogether for that part and labor it was around 800 dollars (970 with the kit). Give or take that was a couple years ago and prices have shot up on Corvette parts. Mine had the *&#t kicked out of it too. All the syncros in the kit had sharp square teeth, the ones in the transmission were round. I have a 61' Vette that someone probably has some very very interesting stories about.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom