Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

61/62 what is a fair price

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
non originial engine......drive train.....good chrome.... good body....no hardtop.....paint a 7.5/10 where 10 is show quality......

would like to get one...looking at the cars on Ebay....but don't want to get hosed.........dont mind paying a little more than what it should be, but dont want to be in a posiiotn that I can never get my money back out if need....so....comments and thoughts?

let me know.....regards, Herb

nada guide says low retail of 25,100 avg as 34,500 with a high retail of 52,600 for a 61 spose 62 would be close to that. What you are talking about would be on the low end to me. The e-bay route kind of scares me thats a lot of money to spend on somthing without actually seeing it in person. Know I drove 850 miles once to buy a car a guy had e-mailed me pics of, to find out computer pictures dont always show the whole truth but maybe I work to hard for my money good luck....

thanks for the comments....I can drive about 150 miles to see it...so that is what I will do.....what effect does the non original engine have on the pricing you stated above? In fact it is a 327......so not even right in that regard.......let me know....thanks,Herb

If you talk to the guys at pro-team they say not much, but Im an original kind of guy 62s came with a 327 didnt they? Spose if the chrome, paint, etc is all good Id go on the lower end, been talking to a few places on getting mine repainted and its expensive. Dont really know much about those years. Hope theyre not like a 63 with a lot of one year only type parts........... Good luck

:cool drove up to Michigan last night.....was hoping to see something that...well just wasn't there! From 15 feet, the car looked great..but as you got closer...needed paint....needed ALL chrome, what wasn't pitted was dull or scratched....need full interior...engine compartment left a lot to be desired....but as he pointed out, it had one heck of a nice frame under it and that should be the basis under which anyone should buy a car, well ok...but what about the rest of it?????

I asked him if others had come to see the car...he said yes and that they like me had left without even an offer.....he was asking $30,500......YIKES!!!! Is all I can say....I felt I couldnt get my money back out right away if I had to sell and that is the basis under which I purchase.....so the hunt continues.....

I guess I must have realy lucked out when I found my 62 . I have been seeing the prices and I was amazed. A guy offered to sell me the car because he knew I had a 77 and wanted to know if I wanted another. I wasnt even in the market , but when he told me the price I basically jumped right on it. It was well below $ 10,000. The frame is fine , it has a 350 out of a 1970 , and was changed to an automatic. I had it up , and running in about 3 hours , It also came with the original 4 speed and all the parts , plus a 1969 327 . I realy dont think the guy knew what he had.

I remember looking at a 65 that sounds a lot like the one youre talking about, the guy was convinced his was worth a fortune becouse he had picked up a auto trader and saw some of the prices they were asking. I feel for you it took me almost 3 years to find one I liked. Wasnt to fussy toward the end though. Sometimes I wonder if the internet has messed it up to, seems the days of finding a steel of a deal in someones garage or barn etc. are gone, every now and then but not like it used to be............. good luck

Well, gentlemen and ladies, if you think your going to find a "good running" 61/62 out there for under 40k, I want to join you in your choice of smoke or alcohol! It must be good stuff!

I did the "under 30k" puchase a year ago. And she was/is sweet! But now she really runs: after I raised the investment to 45k.

I didn't do anything special. But she needed a motor (about 4k); she needed a roof (any roof) another 3 -4 K. Then a bunch of "stuff' like front end rebuild, and many other things like heater, audio, etc., etc., etc.

Now, don't get me wrong: I think I got a deal! I have had a great time getting her to where she is today. A great trip. I would not sell her for any price! But the days of getting something like what Herb described at the start of this chain for under 30k, under 40K, are gone.

If you want more proof: Watch the Barrett Jackson acutions. People are investing in cars and real estate. And these are drivers, not "numbers matching" cars! i was amazed at what cars, non-original cars. were going for in January.

Gentelmen and Ladies, we are sitting on a great investment! Time we did something right!

Matt62 said:
I guess I must have realy lucked out when I found my 62 . I have been seeing the prices and I was amazed. A guy offered to sell me the car because he knew I had a 77 and wanted to know if I wanted another. I wasnt even in the market , but when he told me the price I basically jumped right on it. It was well below $ 10,000. The frame is fine , it has a 350 out of a 1970 , and was changed to an automatic. I had it up , and running in about 3 hours , It also came with the original 4 speed and all the parts , plus a 1969 327 . I realy dont think the guy knew what he had.
Hello Matt I guess plow season is over and your going to dig in and enjoy your new vette.When and if you decide to sell your vette give a fellow struggeling plow guy a chance.

IH82PLOW;)

Quite The Understatement!!!

Matt62 said:
Matt, you don't have to guess you lucked out, you hit the grand slam. You also don't have to think the guy didn't know what he had, he didn't have a clue, much to your advantage. I've been enjoying being a 62 owner for 5 years now, wish I had done it a lot sooner. When I see what they're going for now, I'm amazed and flattered. Mine is certainly not #'s matching but it's what I want, that's what matters to me.:D :beer

This makes me sick to think about: In 1972 I purchased a matching #s '58 Corvette for $1000 and the next year I bought a '62 non matching for $800 ! Yes, they are long gone,,,,,but at least the memories are still there.

61 i got

I won a 61 in 1999 in a raffle (bought $7 worth of tickets), let me tell you there is no free car around. Had to come up with 33% tax to the IRS before i could take the car home. The guy i won from offered to buy it back for less than he sold the car to the fundraiser for, nice way to make some cash. He sold a car with a lot of problems to them for more than the market price and wanted to get it back, called me a couple years later and still wanted it.

I'm not complaining, but this guy had the timing so far off and the brakes hardly worked when i got the car. I think he was hoping some fool bought it that didn't know anything. I took the car home and messed with the timing and the carb and am still driving it. He must have shot a quick paint job on it some time and now it is cracking all over and has many spider marks.

I have hopes of getting a lot of improvements done next winter but the parts for the car are expensive as most of you know. They are a great car and look forward to getting some good radials on it instead of the wide tires and wheels currently on it. The steel wheels and hubcaps are outrageous from the repro houses, should just buy some wheels for it. The tires will improve the driveability but the brakes still suck. We are all spoiled by the disk brakes.

Good luck with your hunt for a car. They are fun to have, they really draw the attention at the cruise nights. Much more than the 64 coupe that i have, and it has fresh paint and looks good.

Dave

I have a picture posted on the free pages under the free pages, look for the only car from Nebraska at:
http//:www.rogerscorvette.com
Paint is kind of a 10 foot paint job.

My 61 315hp fuelie is a frame off restored matching numbers car. I have turned down $65,000 for it:D

62 Fuel Injected Convertible with Hardtop

The last 62 I saw was for around $85,000. Red inside and out with hardtop. Like new in and out. You can buy it at Fast Lane Classic Cars in St. Charles, MO. They had a white convertible with just the rag top, 250 hp with 4 speed. I think that sold for around $35,000.

Hey Dave,

After seeing your post, I just had to join you on the "Roger's" site. Now you have company in the Nebraska listing! See you Saturday in Lincoln at the Husker Auto Corvette Show?

Greg
1960fuelie

found a 1960....it was on Ebay.....the guy ended the auction early for me...ended up getting it $500 less than his reserve price....I paid $25,500 for it and feel fortunate at that price!

Has both tops, all chrome is there and in not bad shape but does need to be rechromed. Brakes don't work....might just need to be bled.....that is next....engine is from a 70-73 Camaro, 350cu in....runs ok, but should be rebuilt or just replaced. Compression ranges from 110 to 140....with most in the 120 range. Maybe time for a new crate engine?

Has a new soft top to be installed along with all the glass for the hard top to be replaced.

I haven't decided what to do with the car yet. Since it doesn't have original engine, I am trying to decide what to do with it. There is part of me that wants to make a REAL NICE driver out of it.....another piece of me wants to restore it.....I figure that I am even or so with about $15K of money to put in it.

I have access to getting all the parts on the car (including the frame) powder coated for free as well as getting the body painted (although in this case it wouldn't be an absolutely first class paint job, but would be very nice) for free.

So...what do I do? I am looking forward to Carlisle where I figure I can get some good ideas....I am leaning right now to a frame off since I can get everything coated for free (helps to work at a company that makes powder coating equipment).

Your comments and pictures would be appreciated.......

Congratulations on getting the '60. Have some fun, drive it a while after you get the brakes fixed. They still won't be disks. I enjoy mine and everyone else seems to really take a look, they stand out from other cars, really fun.

Frame off is of course an option, very expensive option. I have a long list of things to do for mine. Doesn't everyone?

Post some pictures, everyone will enjoy them. Good Luck and save the wave. Dave

Check out www.rogerscorvette.com you can post a picture for free there. My '61 is there from Nebraska.

Best of luck with your new car.Always remember saftey first,try and get the car up in the air and give a complete check of all saftey items before driving it.As for a frame off it gets real exspencive,even with free powder coating of the frame.I would make it a safe driver and use it for a while then decide what you want to do with its restoration.

Good luck

It would seem your quite far away from this becoming an NCRS Top Flight. My vote is to make her safe, make her look good, and enjoy her!!!!

Hal

nothings free! your time has to count for something when you are figuring what $$$$ you put into the car

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom