Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

63 Coupe Project - Update

I was wondering if you tried the Zoop's Seal. I have heard good things about how it looks when first applied but now we will be able to see how it lasts in the long run. Did you have any reservations about chroming alloy? I've seen that blister and fail so often in the past. Are they doing anything now that they didn't do in the past?

Tom

I was wondering if you tried the Zoop's Seal. I have heard good things about how it looks when first applied but now we will be able to see how it lasts in the long run. Did you have any reservations about chroming alloy? I've seen that blister and fail so often in the past. Are they doing anything now that they didn't do in the past?

Tom

Tom,

That was one of the things I went into some detail on in the CF article but, the short story is that there seems to be no such as thing as “regular chroming” when it comes to aluminum especially for the cast aluminum pieces. Even with forged aluminum there's an additional nickel application but the cast aluminum is another story! I now know more about that than I ever wanted to know. :L

One key aspect of chroming is that its quality depends on the density of the part and its shape which impacts the electrical flow and can result in poor adhesion and uneven coverage. Forged aluminum parts chrome well but that’s not always the case with cast aluminum. We ran into a major issue on the cast pieces where the porosity caused a problem in getting the copper to stick well and flow evenly especially on the inside and underside surfaces. It looked like we were dead in the water until I discussed the problem with a friend at Har-Conn Chrome (www.har-conn.com) who came to the rescue. They have almost fifty years of experience in coatings for the aero-space industry and had a process to seal the aluminum and get the copper to stick. It's a multi-step process, one of which uses Zincate which seals the pores, and their last step applies acid copper which serves as the base to proceed with chroming.

Once that problem was solved the parts were taken back to Allied Metal Finishing in South Windsor, Ct. to complete the chroming. There the parts went through the nickel, cyanide copper and chrome steps. They have decades of experience in chroming for commercial and decorative chrome and also make the sacrificial lead anodes used to get the chrome to flow into recessed areas. Some of these are extremely complex shapes and look like intricate works of art themselves.

For those parts (such as the tie-rod ends and stabilizer links) which couldn't be subjected to chemicals or high temperatures I used Zoops Seal after polishing. It involves a cleaning with their solution, rinsing with distilled water, applying the sealant mix and, after drying, applying their "Final Seal". It leaves no signs of reducing the shine and I'm hoping that it lasts for a long time - but only time will tell.

Rich Lagasse

Sounds like you went to the right people. Thanks for the education Rich.

Tom

Rich

I haven't been on much lately so I'm glad I saw the thread. The car looks GREAT but since you are the one building it that's no surprise and from seeing a couple of your other cars I expect your project to be over the top in terms of quality and attention to detail. :)

I can't wait to see the car at Carlisle this year along with you and Barb again.

BTW, wonderful article in Corvette Fever and I look forward to seeing more progress article on the car.

Barry

Wow, what else can I say Rich, Barbara. I really am looking forward to see you two and the car at Carlisle. Stay warm! :w Dennis

Barry & Dennis,

Thanks. We'll be in Carlisle one way or another and we'll see you there.

Right now we're debating whether or not to wait to show the car before next year's Detroit Autorama. One of the Ridler requirements is that the car cannot have been shown anywhere, whether it's an indoor or outdoor show, or even, in final form, in a magazine. Thus far there have been two schools of thought: One says we should wait as you probably only get to do an event like that once and it would be nice to see a Corvette entered. The other school (mine) is that it would be tough to have the car finished later this year and hold off using it until the show. Thus far it's about twenty to one to wait so I'm in the minority.... ;shrug

I do have to admit that it would be nice to do the Detroit show even though we have no dilusions of competing against the likes of Foose, etc. and that show is heavily inclined towards more traditional street rods.

It's a choice we don't have to make immediately so we'll let things develop before making a decision. With the number of things we have left to do, and the delays we've had beyond our control, the interval might not be that long when all is said and done.

Rich

As a big fan of the Detroit Autorama I think it would be amazing just to make the cut to be in the Great 8. If it was my car I would have to try. It isn't like like you don't have anything else nice to take to shows next summer.

Tom

As a big fan of the Detroit Autorama I think it would be amazing just to make the cut to be in the Great 8. If it was my car I would have to try. It isn't like like you don't have anything else nice to take to shows next summer.

Tom

Tom,

Thus far everyone I've spoken to has urged us to wait. To my surprise, even Alan Colvin, the Corvette Fever editor, has urged us to wait even knowing that that would delay the final installment of our project series since you can't have it appear in final form even in a magazine.

As I mentioned we have no delusions of a "home built" car competing head to head with the big fellows but it would be nice to have a Corvette represented.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rich Lagasse

Tom,

Thus far everyone I've spoken to has urged us to wait. To my surprise, even Alan Colvin, the Corvette Fever editor, has urged us to wait even knowing that that would delay the final installment of our project series since you can't have it appear in final form even in a magazine.

As I mentioned we have no delusions of a "home built" car competing head to head with the big fellows but it would be nice to have a Corvette represented.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rich Lagasse

HA HA Rich,

So I think there are some different levels of "Home Built" Mine is the standard home built we think of when we here home built.

Yourself and John McGraw bring this "Home built" to a whole new level. From what little I have seen of your building of this car I would say you would not be out of place in Detroit with this car.

Best of continued success with your project

I would say mine was a home built

I would say mine was a home built

Larry, you should not be making any apologies for home built Corvettes, since any Corvette that is home " built, is better then bought " :beer

Kind'a reminds me of a song Ole blue eyes use to sing called " I did it my way " :bang

Stepinwolf

Larry, you should not be making any apologies for home built Corvettes, since any Corvette that is home " built, is better then bought " :beer

Kind'a reminds me of a song Ole blue eyes use to sing called " I did it my way " :bang

Stepinwolf

Absolutely! :upthumbs Having full envolvement in a project provides the satisfaction aspect that's hard to get otherwise plus the experience of bloody knuckles and a sore back......:L

Rich

Absolutely! :upthumbs Having full envolvement in a project provides the satisfaction aspect that's hard to get otherwise plus the experience of bloody knuckles and a sore back......:L

Rich

I would have to say the worst part of the build. Is that gooey black,fluffy material that a baldor buffer throws all over you that gets into every orifice of your body when your polishing parts, and doesn't come off with out using a scrub brush.

And there is just no way (unless you been there) to understand what a stiff bristle brush feels like scrubbing the soft of your back and neck and under
arms

I would have to say the worst part of the build. Is that gooey black,fluffy material that a baldor buffer throws all over you that gets into every orifice of your body when your polishing parts, and doesn't come off with out using a scrub brush.

And there is just no way (unless you been there) to understand what a stiff bristle brush feels like scrubbing the soft of your back and neck and under
arms

Now, how could I have forgotten the fun and "fallout" of polishing......?;shrug When I'd come upstairs from a polishing session Barb would just hand me a towel and face-cloth and point to the shower.....:L

Ah yes. Buffing is truly one of the great joys of life. But there is nothing like watching that shine come up from what was a dull piece of alloy. A close second would be the cast iron dust that seems to linger in your nostrils for a week after you port heads or grind a block. Even wearing a mask doesn't keep it all out.

For those not totally familiar with the Ridler Award here is a picture of Chip Foose's winning entry (Impression) from a couple of years ago. Although it looks like a modified '36 Ford, it is actually all coach built in steel from one of Chip's design drawings. It won the Ridler and America's Most Beautiful Roadster at the Grand National Roadster Show. I have heard that the construction cost to the owner, Ken Reister, exceeded one million dollars. Several hundred thousand to construct a Ridler contender is normal.

f4d5129e.jpg

f4d51137.jpg

f4d510ae.jpg

Heh Rich...
Just noticed your thread... Been off this section for a while. What can I say that hasn't allready been said.

Excellent..Beautifull.. It would almost seem that the C-2 body should be made out of a Clear Material so we could see thru to the frame and suspension.

Congrats ..:beer

Amazing. Takes my breath away. :upthumbs

Rich
It is a true work of art, and I am just more and more impressed every time I see new pics
Very beautiful work
Tom

Rich, got the mag yesterday and read the article last night - simply stunning! :beer

Thanks John.

Just got the latest issue of CE. For some reason I always seem to head for your articles first. We all know they will be interesting, informative and accurate. Pretty soon folks are going to start calling you the "Walter Cronkite of the Corvette hobby"...... :upthumbs

Rich
p.s.: :birth

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom