Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 63 Resto/upgrades

McD

Corvette
'69 Fathom Green Conv and '63 Tuxedo Black Conv
Hi all...I have a 63 roadster (NOM) 327/300 4 spd in pretty good shape...what I call an above avg driver. I want to do some resto/upgrades to the car as it has a few things I'd like to add and would love to get some insight for vendors, etc. Keep in mind since this car is not # matching, I'll deviate a bit from stock but would like to go stock in appearance as much as possible.

1. New conv top...I'm buying one from Al Knoch...any issues there? Better tops out there somewhere else?

2. New radio...Not sure what to do here, again I want the stock look, but I'd like one with newer technology to include the aux input for an iPod. Has anyone picked up rear speakers or is there a single center speaker that outs out real good sound?

3. Power steering...my car is great on giving you a shoulder workout without the power steering, but I go to the gym 4 times a week, so I'd like to do away with that exercise ;) I'm looking for the best possible power steering conversion kit. I might be adding A/C to the car later...will it matter which power steering kit I buy...will it cause probs for adding A/C later?

4. Knockoffs...better to go with the true knock-offs or the bolt on knock-offs? Pros/cons?

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the car. It drives out very nice, but at some time I think I'll swap out the engine for a newer crate motor and at least 5 spd. Anyone out there make this transition? Would love to pick your brain a bit to see what I need to get ready for on that one.

Well thanks for the read...I appreciate any assistance you can provide!

McD

Can only speak to the top. Had Al Knock install one at Carlisle one year on my 92. Was very statisfied with the workmanship and the quality of materials.

You're doing what I would like to do. We Do a fair amount of road trips in our 92 with the club and I thought how great it would be to have a C2 set up for comfortable touring - AC, auto, cruise, etc - in among all those C5's and 6's!

Good Cruzin' ................................ Griz

Can only speak to the top. Had Al Knock install one at Carlisle one year on my 92. Was very statisfied with the workmanship and the quality of materials.

You're doing what I would like to do. We Do a fair amount of road trips in our 92 with the club and I thought how great it would be to have a C2 set up for comfortable touring - AC, auto, cruise, etc - in among all those C5's and 6's!

Good Cruzin' ................................ Griz

Thanks Griz. I just talked with a top restorer here and he said he'll ONLY do a conv top if it comes from Al Knoch.

Yeah, the rest of the stuff will come along gradually, but will make for one smooth fun ride when all is said and done.

3. Power steering...my car is great on giving you a shoulder workout without the power steering, but I go to the gym 4 times a week, so I'd like to do away with that exercise ;) I'm looking for the best possible power steering conversion kit. I might be adding A/C to the car later...will it matter which power steering kit I buy...will it cause probs for adding A/C later?

4. Knockoffs...better to go with the true knock-offs or the bolt on knock-offs? Pros/cons? McD

Many vendors sell the factory-style linkage-boosted power steering conversion, and installation is routine. Another option is the integral Jeep power steering gear kit from Corvette Steering Service (www.corvettesteering.com), which has much better steering feel and is mechanically much simpler.

The direct-bolt knock-off wheels don't require any special care, and nobody but you will know that they're not true knock-off wheels.

:beer

Many vendors sell the factory-style linkage-boosted power steering conversion, and installation is routine. Another option is the integral Jeep power steering gear kit from Corvette Steering Service (www.corvettesteering.com), which has much better steering feel and is mechanically much simpler.

The direct-bolt knock-off wheels don't require any special care, and nobody but you will know that they're not true knock-off wheels.

:beer

JohnZ,
Interesting about the power steering, and I heard about the bolt on knock-offs being better as far as less worry/maintenance. Since I'm going for more of a stock look than actual stock, I think I'll lean towards the bolt ons.

McD

I had the radio in my 63 upgraded to new electronics by SM Electro-Tech (http://www.turnswitch.com). In the very short time I've used it I've been very pleased with it. Also got their dash speaker.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom