Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

64 brakes

jwhunter

Corvette
64 BLACK CONVERTIBLE, 05 Coupe, Daytona Orange
I just obtained a 64 vette. The emergency brakes will not release. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them to release? I can not get the drums off because the drums were placed where the access hole does not line up with the brake adjusting wheel.
Thanks

ok spray marvel mystery oil on all your e-brake cables. Spray where the cable goes into the rear wheel area. eveyr part of the cable you can see. Take your hand and jerk the cable back and forth very hard. It might release. If it doesnt you will need to find a way to pull off those drums.

-Andy

I had to use a huge 3 jaw puller to get my drums off. (looks like a cheap flywheel puller.) lots of penetrating oil too. When they come off, make sure you clean around the center hole. I used fine emery cloth to polish them and a little lith grease to ease dis-assembly next time.

Good luck. Hope this helps!
Mike

thanks for the information. I tried it an was able to remove the drum. I think I should replace the springs because I drove it some and pulled the emergency brake again and it locked again. I was able to remove the drum again.

a hammer !!

Mechanics never use a hammer !!........except when things get stuck !!

A hammer used on the center of the drum will break loose rust and stuck parts so access may be gained. It sounds like your e-brake cable is sticking....and yes the springs are weak. The car needs to be driven.

Personally, if it were my car I would do a major brake job.......including new springs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom