Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'65 and '66 Milano Maroon paint color

HEy Barry- I just painted my 66 with PPG BC/CC Milano Maroon. I was not able to compare it yet to an original, but I am happy with it. It has a lot of metallic in it, but VERY fine. You can't tell until you are right on top of it. Unless you want to spend big $$ and get a custom computer matched type paint job, this may be a good option. I had less than $300 in a gallon a Base and a gallon of clear. I was very surprized as I had expected a huge price. I went with the "omni" line (i think that's what you call PPG "economy" line) and I think it is a later model dodge color that closely matches.

102-0294_IMG.JPG

102-0278_IMG.JPG

102-0293_IMG.JPG

102-0295_IMG.JPG

102-0275_IMG.JPG

obviously- I still need to wet sand the clear some....

good luck!
Matt

Hi birdball

welcome to CAC!
:)

thanks for the info. your car is looking great!

My painter also uses PPG products (i checked that with him today) but i don't what what "line' within PPG.
i'm glad to hear the metallic is fine grained but when you say it has a LOT of metallic how much is a lot? according to JohnZ (a forum member whom you will quickly learn is a true and complete expert on all aspects of these cars!) there should only be a small amount of metallic in the paint. Because of the differences between the paints of 40 years ago and today i realize I will probably have to deal with a "just get it as close as you can situation" but I don't want to go really overboard on the level of metallic.

This might be slightly "off" the topic, but by his owm admission, so is Barry.:D

Here goes..is the 67 Marlboro Maroon the same as the 66 and 67 Milano Maroon?
If it is, you might have better luck with a match or looking at it since Marlboro Maroon was so popular. I had a 67 Coupe in Marlboro Maroon and it had fine metallic flakes that looked gold when the sun hit it.
BTW, Barry, Tony changed my appointment from this Saturday to a "call me on Feb 8th so we can see if we can get you in on Feb 12th." I'm gonna have the T.I. put back on the car and I'm thinking more and more about the side pipes.
But if I do that, I have to have the rear valence replaced and I'd like to find the correct fiberglass piece for it and I'll need a good paint guy, too.
You car is looking good, can't wait to see it. Bon voyage.

Thanks for the welcome Barry! I am very familiar with Mr. JohnZ from the corvetteforum and the camaro forum. Got to meet him in person at the Paragon car show too. Imense wealth of knowlege- Whenever he speaks... I listen!!

I will try and get some better pics of the paint when I get home tomorrow. I still have some left in the bottom of the can, so I will snatch a pic of that, and then try and capture my pain up close on the fender that is wet sanded and buffed. It does have quite a bit of metallic in it, but it's the finest flakes I have ever seen.

Perhaps one of the high dollar mixes could do it with less metallic. If you still have a piece that has original paint on it, you could get it computer matched and they could mix you a sample pint and then you could do a test spray on a sheet of metal.

Matt

It is the toners that are hard to find

Very fine metallic is correct. And the original toners are about impossible to find.

The headlight bucket 'match' is a very good one. And Birdball, your car looks quite correct. I owned a Milano Maroon in 71, and as the original paint got old, it also lost it's bright color and seemed to go lighter.

A good friend owns a "Survivor" BG 2004, 65 Maroon coupe and his headlight buckets are 'darker' than the paint on say the hood.
I have attached a picture.

Trouble with BC/CC paint is it looks wet and darker than old lacquer.

Dennis

the '67 Marlboro Maroon is a slightly different volor than the Milano Maroon although it's a very nice color and i'm trying to stay as close to original as possible.

As for the sidepipes, finding the rear valence shouldn't be any trouble but depending on how old and type of paint you have getting to match might not be the easiest but I LOVE the looks of pipes on midyears. Shop around thoughAs I understand various sidepeipes from different vendors have different levels of volume - some not too bad but others are very loud and they tend to get even louder in the coupes like we have as the sound bounces around inside the car. In either case I still wouldn't be without them even if I do have to deal withg ringing ears after 2 hours of highway driving.

Delays getting into the shop seem normal as i waited an extra 4 months after the first promised date to get mine into the paint shop but once Tony can get you in you know he will do a good job for you

Barry

birdball said:
I will try and get some better pics of the paint when I get home tomorrow. I still have some left in the bottom of the can, so I will snatch a pic of that, and then try and capture my pain up close on the fender that is wet sanded and buffed. It does have quite a bit of metallic in it, but it's the finest flakes I have ever seen.

Perhaps one of the high dollar mixes could do it with less metallic. If you still have a piece that has original paint on it, you could get it computer matched and they could mix you a sample pint and then you could do a test spray on a sheet of metal.

Matt

Matt
a close-up of a sample of your paint would be awesome! THANKS!

I think we best we can hope for is just mix it the best we can based on what's available on today's market and hope for the best. It's not for NCRS anyway but I'm still trying to get as close as possible for my own satisfaction.

Thanks!

Barry

vettefinderjim said:
Very fine metallic is correct. And the original toners are about impossible to find.

The headlight bucket 'match' is a very good one. And Birdball, your car looks quite correct. I owned a Milano Maroon in 71, and as the original paint got old, it also lost it's bright color and seemed to go lighter.

A good friend owns a "Survivor" BG 2004, 65 Maroon coupe and his headlight buckets are 'darker' than the paint on say the hood.
I have attached a picture.

Trouble with BC/CC paint is it looks wet and darker than old lacquer.

that seems odd that the buckets would be slightly different than the rest of the body. could that be because of the way the paint lays on the metal buckets instead of fiberglass as on the rest of the car?

The NCRS sells a booklet of color chips for midyears.
The old DuPont code was 4689-LM, perhaps there's a way to determine, through DuPont, how much of what type of metallic flakes went into that formula. Ditzler code was 50706.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom