Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

65 electrical system

L

LUCKY13

I'm still working on my protecting my 65's electrical system from damage. My questions for the experts are:

Has anyone measured the amperage between the start switch and the starter during actual starting of the engine?

Measured the amperage between the positive side of the battery and the starter during actual starting?

Measured the amperage between the starter and the alternator with engine running?

I never measured any of the amperage, I could do it this week end as I plan on doing a some maintenance on the 66.

I'm still working on my protecting my 65's electrical system from damage. My questions for the experts are:

Has anyone measured the amperage between the start switch and the starter during actual starting of the engine?

Measured the amperage between the positive side of the battery and the starter during actual starting?

Measured the amperage between the starter and the alternator with engine running?

A "tight" engine can pull over 350 amps during cranking (hence the large cables between battery and starter lug). And the alternator will deliver the rated value at an engine speed of 1500 rpm or higher ( in good working condition).

The area that needs protecting (and had none until 1967) is the 10-ga. red main power feed wire from the battery cable stud on the starter solenoid that feeds the whole rest of the car; it needs a 14-ga. fusible link spliced on it where it connects to the stud on the starter. Any good auto parts store has them, with the correct large ring terminal already on it.

FusibleLink.JPG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom