Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

65 Fuel Level Sending Unit

Bo Dillingham

Corvette
1965 crimson pearl (2002 cadillac?)
My 65 stopped showing fuel level a couple of years ago, and I finally got around to having a new fuel gage installed while the car was in for some more major stuff (I usually do minor stuff myself). Now with the new gauge, I half-filled the tank when it got below a quarter-tank to see what would happen, and the gauge did not move; it stayed at the low mark for the rest of the day. I left the car in the garage for a couple of days, and when I took it out yesterday, the gauge went to the half-tank mark. Can anyone tell me what is going on? Is this most likely something sticking? Can the sending unit float be partially waterlogged?

My next question is about replacing the sending unit; if it turns out that the sending unit is bad, is there a better replacement available? Perhaps one that does NOT have the long swing arm arrangement?

Any advice will be appreciated,

BoDill

Regarding sending unit

To all,

I recently read a similar thread to mine regarding a 'vette sending unit, and the user tried "Seafoam" which seams to have solved his problem. I have read the info on Seafoam's website, and do NOT see anything claiming to clean off fuel sending units. It appears to me, however, that it couldn't hurt to try a couple of cans over the next few weeks and see if the sending unit response gets better than it seems to be right now.

Does anyone see a potential problem with this? Please advise......and Thank you,

BoDill

The problem with my sending unit ( origianal ) was the wire windings on the pickup were separating ( not broken ) and float arm was hanging at times

On hold for now

The fuel level gauge has been working for the last week or so; with that in mind I am not going to do anything unless it malfunctions again.

I will, however, keep you posted.

Thank you all,

BoDill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom