Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

65 hood -hinge area problem

J

John N

Where the hinges attach to the hood, I had developed a persistent crack....so this morning I began trying to separate the hood skin from the under part in order to repair this once and for all. All was going well until I got to the part where the hood hinges bolt. I seem to be hitting something metal. It is not the hood hinge 'bolt' area itself, but just forward of that. I was not aware of any metal there. Can anyone help or offer any suggestions. I am really at a loss...
Thanks,
John N:W

Where the hinges attach to the hood, I had developed a persistent crack....so this morning I began trying to separate the hood skin from the under part in order to repair this once and for all. All was going well until I got to the part where the hood hinges bolt. I seem to be hitting something metal. It is not the hood hinge 'bolt' area itself, but just forward of that. I was not aware of any metal there. Can anyone help or offer any suggestions. I am really at a loss...
Thanks,
John N:W

Hi John, Welcome aboard...:beer

Not sure exactley where you mean but if you are speaking about the area where the hinge bolts to the hood...There is a metal palte inside that is threaded to receive the hinge bolts. As far as I know..there is no other metal in that area. That plate does extend about a 1/2 " bigger then what it might apears too.

I see you say "Not the hindge Bolt area" But I think it is the receiving bolt plate that you are speaking about.

Also...how about some Pic's of your Corvette..:upthumbs

That's what I thought....

I am referring to the hinge 'bolt' area...and like you I didn't think that there was any other metal in that area except for the plate that the hinge bolts screw into!
...however when I am trying to separate the hood 'skin' from the under-hood support piece (which holds the plate with the threads for accepting the hood hinge bolts) - if you looked at the car from the front - the place that I seem to be hitting something that if not metal sure is very hard...- is closer to the front edge of the hood and as you make the 'curve' around from the side of the hood. I've had this car for years - you wouldn't want to see photos of it now!! - it has become a project car. (everytime I start to work on something it's becoming more of a project....this is not my first '65, but it is the hardest to work on---couldn't be me getting older!!??)
Also have a '62 fuelie, a '79 L48 Green driver, and a '94 ZR-1 garage queen that I bought new.

Thanks for the reply. I'm beginning to think I'm losing what's left of my mind.

....also a Viet Vet

John N

I am referring to the hinge 'bolt' area...and like you I didn't think that there was any other metal in that area except for the plate that the hinge bolts screw into!
...however when I am trying to separate the hood 'skin' from the under-hood support piece (which holds the plate with the threads for accepting the hood hinge bolts) - if you looked at the car from the front - the place that I seem to be hitting something that if not metal sure is very hard...- is closer to the front edge of the hood and as you make the 'curve' around from the side of the hood. I've had this car for years - you wouldn't want to see photos of it now!! - it has become a project car. (everytime I start to work on something it's becoming more of a project....this is not my first '65, but it is the hardest to work on---couldn't be me getting older!!??)
Also have a '62 fuelie, a '79 L48 Green driver, and a '94 ZR-1 garage queen that I bought new.

Thanks for the reply. I'm beginning to think I'm losing what's left of my mind.

....also a Viet Vet

John N

Heh John,
Got me then, I happen to be speaking with a friend of mine while typing the above reply. Rob my friend, owns a Corvette Restoration shop. An I told him ..it's funny you called as I'm answering a post about the hood hinge area.

What I posted above is from him. So if your encountering "Metal" in another area...then sounds like Bubba might have done some work their. And yes..as we get older we tend not to want to take on to much work on the Vette's. At least that's where I'm at.:D
As far as Pic's go...you shouldn't be embarrassed about posting a pic or two. Alot of guys here post pic's of there Vettes under construction. It's no biggy. We like to see the progress as they come to life.

So whip out that camera..and show us your ride.

And Welcome home to you ....

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom