Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

65 interior problems

T

troysmjfrog

i'm trying to replace the carpet in my 65 convertible. i'm having problems taking out the seats. the bolts on the rear, right hand side drivers seat seem impossible to get to. any tips for me? thanks

I want to say that you can get at it with a 9/16 (or is it 1/2")swivel head with an inch and a half straight swivel attached to the swivel head (basically two swivels), but it's been so long since I removed the seats in my '65, that I forget exactly how I did it.

Might be worth a shot and hope it helps,

Rich
NCRS #37140

65 seats

Hi! I found that my seats were set in the same position for a long time(65 was stored in a barn since 1983) and I wasn't getting full travel. I worked the tracking system back and forth and gained a little more room to work. I then used a swivel socket and had no problem removing the bolts.

thanks for the advice. all of this would have worked, if the bolts hadn't been stripped by the previous owner. thanks again.

I just pulled the seats on my '65 conv. All I did to remove the seats was to remove the two front bolts on each seat. Then just pulled the seat forward and they came out. The rear pieces that hold the seat in place are "C" shaped and just basically prevent the back of the seat from coming up.

Basically I didn't have to remove the rear bolts to remove the seats. This would make getting to the rear bolts much easier, especially if they are stripped.

Ryan

Ryanc65 said:
I just pulled the seats on my '65 conv. All I did to remove the seats was to remove the two front bolts on each seat. Then just pulled the seat forward and they came out. The rear pieces that hold the seat in place are "C" shaped and just basically prevent the back of the seat from coming up.

Basically I didn't have to remove the rear bolts to remove the seats. This would make getting to the rear bolts much easier, especially if they are stripped.

Ryan
No problems re installing?

thanks

troysmjfrog said:
i'm trying to replace the carpet in my 65 convertible. i'm having problems taking out the seats. the bolts on the rear, right hand side drivers seat seem impossible to get to. any tips for me? thanks
Only two bolts have to come out to remove a seat on any mid-year car as best as I remember. Remove the bolt at the front seat rail, both left and right, and slide the seat forward. The rear of the left and right rails are trapped under a "U" shaped bracket which does not require removal in order to remove the seats. After you get the seats out, the bracket is a piece of cake, nothing in the way.

It's been many years ago, but I believe some, if not all, of the C-1 seats come out in the same manner. Some of the C-1 guys could enlighten us in that respect.

That's why it was so easy for th five-fingered discount artists to make off with the seats out of the early model Vettes, they can be out with hand tools in less than 30 seconds.

rlm:beer

Ron Miller said:
Only two bolts have to come out to remove a seat on any mid-year car as best as I remember.
In case any '67 owners are reading this, they have different seat tracks with bolts both front and rear. You must move the seat as far forward as possible to get to the rear bolts.

Yup, pre-'67's just need the two front bolts removed, then yank 'em forward and out; 67's have four bolts per seat.
:beer

Had a hard time finding the magic spot upon reassembly, but used an awl to pull it in allignment from the bottom of the car and a lot of patience if I remmember right, didnt want to cross thread the bolts but it wasnt really that bad..... Good luck.:)

Correct me if I am wrong, but the 63 and I would think the 64 use 4 bolts per seat, that screw into a metal bottom plate attached by rivets on the bottom of the floor. I know the 63 sits on top of the carpet and the 64 has those slits which the tracks are bolted directly to the fiberglass floor boards.

'63-'66 seats have brackets at the rear that attach with bolts through the floor into riveted reinforcements on the bottom of the floor pan, but those bolts don't have to be removed to pull the seats out; the rear of the seat tracks slide into and are captured by the rear brackets, and there are only two bolts per seat at the front of the tracks (also through the floor into riveted nut plates on the bottom) that need to be removed to pull the seats out of the car. 67's have (4) bolts per seat that must be removed - one on each end of each seat track, all of which go through the floor into riveted reinforcements and nut plates.
:beer

troysmjfrog said:
thanks for the advice. all of this would have worked, if the bolts hadn't been stripped by the previous owner. thanks again.
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Any time you have to remove the seats I recomend getting underneith the car and cleaning up the exsposed threads with a good wire wheel.

As for removing stripped nut or bolts you cant beat the tolls below sold by sears they work like magic.they really BITE inot the stripped bolt/nut.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/search.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1081753169.1080277043@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccjgadckmmehledcehgcemgdffmdflg.0&vertical=SEARS&adCell=P9&keyword='00952160000'%7c'00952161000'%7c'00952166000'&displayTarget=searchresults&isDataBeanLocked=false&vertical=SEARS&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom