Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

65 sbc alternator question

brumbach

Corvette
1965 convertible
I recently bought a correct alternator for my vette. The old one was incorrect and was on it's last leg. I assumed I would have to have it rebuilt when I got it but to my surprise it works. Looks good too! I noticed that the rear alternator face is turned inward toward the engine. This places the connections on the left side instead of at the top. It also places the battery connection inches above the exhaust manifold. Now for the questions...Should the connections be at the top or is it correct as is? Will the heat from the exhaust manifold cause the battery connection to the alternator melt? and finally, if the connections are suppose to be at the top must I have an expert disassemble the alternator to set it right or is it simple enough for a layman like me to do?

loosen the four long bolts that hold the two halves of the alternator case together, make sure that you DO NOT pull the halves apart and re-clock the case to the postion that you want it

if you do accidently pull the case apart, it's not the end of the world but the brushes will pop out....easy enough to put back together, you just need a paper clip pushed in from the back to retain the brushes while re-assembling

PS, yes, the plastic connector is on the top and no, you won't melt it

loosen the four long bolts that hold the two halves of the alternator case together, make sure that you DO NOT pull the halves apart and re-clock the case to the postion that you want it

if you do accidently pull the case apart, it's not the end of the world but the brushes will pop out....easy enough to put back together, you just need a paper clip pushed in from the back to retain the brushes while re-assembling

PS, yes, the plastic connector is on the top and no, you won't melt it

I did a test run on the old alternator last night while awaiting a response. The case separated and as you mentioned and two little springs came flying out with what I guess are the brushes or plastic connectors. That was the test run. On the new alternator, I did have to separate the two halves a wee bit to allow movement to reclock. Reinstalled the four bolts and shook the devil out of it, listening for any dislodged parts. Heard nothing and assume all is okay. I'm going to run it by Advance Auto and have it bench checked again to ensure it still works. Thanks for the advise. Bill

brumbach...you have a PM

I did a test run on the old alternator last night while awaiting a response. The case separated and as you mentioned and two little springs came flying out with what I guess are the brushes or plastic connectors. That was the test run. On the new alternator, I did have to separate the two halves a wee bit to allow movement to reclock. Reinstalled the four bolts and shook the devil out of it, listening for any dislodged parts. Heard nothing and assume all is okay. I'm going to run it by Advance Auto and have it bench checked again to ensure it still works. Thanks for the advise. Bill

To have done this very easily is to pull the fan and pully off with a impact then start as others suggested by taking the 4 bolts out thereby splitting the cases. Now merely ease the front case from the back sliding up the rotor then just turn it to the clocking position you require. Straight behind the adjustment bolt is 12 O'clock looking from the rear. To the left will be 9 O'clock and the right will be 3 O'clock. Push the front case back down the rotor and button it up. Oh, put the fan and pulley back on too. :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom