Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 66 lose of power when warmed up, everytime.

GULFTANGO

Corvette
1997 FAIRWAY GREEN
My 1966 ​small block has recently given me some difficulty, after the installation of a new Edelbrock carburetor and intake manifold. A sudden loss of engine power after 15 to 30 minutes of driving. Does not stall. I turn the engine off and let it cool down. Then restart and drive until engine heats up (does not overheat) to normal operationg temperature.
I have gone through most of the attached systems of the engine to try to troubleshoot a sudden loss of engine power, after 15 to 30 minutes of driving. I have replaced ignition coil, fuel and vacuum lines. Thinking a vapor lock possibility that I never had with previous Holly or Quadrajet carburetors, that I've driven with, in this car last 20 years. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Last edited:
Is the choke staying open when you accelerate after warm up? I'm not familiar with how the Edelbrock holds the choke open once warmed up but that is where I'd start.

Tom

My 1966 ​small block has recently given me some difficulty, after the installation of a new Edelbrock carburetor and intake manifold. A sudden loss of engine power after 15 to 30 minutes of driving. Does not stall. I turn the engine off and let it cool down. Then restart and drive until engine heats up (does not overheat) to normal operationg temperature.
I have gone through most of the attached systems of the engine to try to troubleshoot a sudden loss of engine power, after 15 to 30 minutes of driving. I have replaced ignition coil, fuel and vacuum lines. Thinking a vapor lock possibility that I never had with previous Holly or Quadrajet carburetors, that I've driven with, in this car last 20 years. Any ideas what could be causing this?
How bad is the power loss?

Sounds like fuel percolation, a common problem these days. Does the Edelbrock manifold have an exhaust crossover passage? Is it blocked? Is your heat riser valve wired open? Is the electric choke connected and adjusted properly? :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom