Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! '66 Offset - Set back - Wheels

Bourbon

Corvette
1966 Coupe Torch Red, 1962 Original Roman Red
Hi,
Would someone be so kind to point me in the right direction. I would like to purchase Torq Thrust wheels from American Racing for my '66 Vette.
After doing a little research over the internet I have become a little confused in what to order.
1.Can anyone advise what an original Rim and tyre size was and its Set Back.
2.Additionally, can anyone advise the max rim size for front and rear as well as tyre size so I can avoid rubbing.

3.75 Seems to be a common Set back for these Corvettes from what Im reading. Is this a actual specification on these cars to avoid contact or rubbing ?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Michael

Hi,
Would someone be so kind to point me in the right direction. I would like to purchase Torq Thrust wheels from American Racing for my '66 Vette.
After doing a little research over the internet I have become a little confused in what to order.
2.Additionally, can anyone advise the max rim size for front and rear as well as tyre size so I can avoid rubbing.

3.75 Seems to be a common Set back for these Corvettes from what Im reading. Is this a actual specification on these cars to avoid contact or rubbing ?

Michael

I can't help you with backspacing numbers but I can tell you that American Racing Torque Thrust Originals (TTO's), 15"x7" with 3.75 backspace, will not clear your brake calipers. I ordered a set in the above size and did not put one wheel in place before mounting tires. (I was told they would fit.) I had tires mounted (215/75x15) and found that the wheels rubbed. Then I saw the warning inside the packing of the wheels that said "Check fitment before mounting tires. If you mount tires the wheels are yours". Lesson learned and it'll never happen again. ;shrug

The widest factory wheels ever used on midyears were the '67 "DC" rally wheels and the aluminum KO's in '64-'66 and the aluminum bolt-ons in '67; all of them had 6" rims and +.060" offset, which translates to about 3-7/16" backspacing (3-1/16" plus the width of the rim flange from the inside where the tire bead seats to the outer edge of the "curl"). The largest tire size was 7.75-15, and they compare to 205/75 and 215/70 radials.

Midyears are extremely intolerant of wider 15" rims and tires, as they were designed in 1960 around 6.70-15 tires on 5-1/2" rims.

Original Torq-Thrust wheels won't clear the calipers.

Any wheel offset/backspacing that moves the outer edge of the rim outboard from the stock location is likely to cause fiberglass damage.

:beer

Thank you for the information. I really dont know what I will do now.

My main concern was something to fit the front. In the late sixtys my Corvette was raced or/so the original owner said. The rear guards were flared to allow for wider tires.

I have tried to uploaded a couple of pictures.

Thanks for the tip. I am led to believe that Torq Thrust D or Torq Thrust 2 wheels will fit. I am yet to confirm this.

You may be able to get wider tires on the rear with no problem but I've read that 10" wide wheels (depending on backspace) may cause the tires to rub against the trailing arms. I've read a few Corvette catalogs that sell off-set trailing arms that will accept 10" wide wheels. Good luck in your search for wheels.

I will soldier onin my persuit of wheels. Ill let you know if and when I am sucessfull.

Torque Thrust D wheels with the curved spokes were created to fix the caliper clearance problems on Corvettes. The original straight spoke Torque Thrusts would not clear without spacers which also pushed the tire out towards the bodywork. This was in 1965 when there really wasn't much else to choose from other than Americans for racing.

Get the Ds and sell the TTOs to someone with drum brakes.

Tom

Torque Thrust D wheels with the curved spokes were created to fix the caliper clearance problems on Corvettes. The original straight spoke Torque Thrusts would not clear without spacers which also pushed the tire out towards the bodywork. This was in 1965 when there really wasn't much else to choose from other than Americans for racing.

Get the Ds and sell the TTOs to someone with drum brakes.

Tom

Tom,

That's exactly what I did. Sold the TTO's to a guy with a '63 Vette. :thumb

Brian

I'd place a direct call to the folks at American an Cragar and explain your concerns ..... and get their name. I did this just last week and they were very friendly.

My dilema is slightly different than yours. I fell in love with a set of the dark grey Americans on a 40 Ford coupe a few weeks ago and was bound and determined that I would despite hell, high water and a rising creek, find a set of "oldies" for my 2000; Cragers, American, Mini-Lite. In short ... I didn't but had my heart set on the impossible.

Your story does remind me of the first time I proudly put Keystone's on my 65 ...... and during the first turn ..... pop went the lips on the front fenders :mad

I believe this TTD is what others have used with no body modifications.

Hey, Thanks.
I have been lucky enough to find a tyre shop here in Australia that has some. They have offered to sell me one to check if it fits, if not I am able to return it..

By the way, What colour is your '67. Looks good. I am looking for a dark paint colour at the moment and am having no luck.

Michael

Torque Thrusts- Ds

Hi,

Michael

Michael,

Call American Racing (you can find there number off their website). They know what fits. I replaced the 40+ year old torque thrust Ds on my stock fendered 1967 with new Torque Thrust Ds (the new ones all have matching rims whereas the very old "original" TT-Ds all had different lip treatments on the rims. Anyway, you are limited in size to 6 inches in width, and the tire size is limited also (I bought new BFG White Letter radial T/As (P215/70R15)) these tires are closest in overall diameter to the original bias ply tires I could find. The wheels are stock number 105-5661, style 105, size 15X6, bolt circle 5 x 4.75, & + 4mm offset. These clear the calipers and fenders, except in the front when the wheels are turned to either lock (if I replaced my front springs that might take care of that particular problem with rubbing on the fenders at lock). If you want bigger/wider you need flares, or the offset trailing arms, or go to 14 inch wheels, and/or spring jacks.

I used to have a 66 big block, with H70-15s on the rear and F70s on the front, the front rubbed and I removed some of the rear fender to clear these tires (not very smart at that age).

If stock is not an issue, then go with flares. If you want something that looks stock, and fits, what I tell you works....and I did talk to a lot of people and American Racing a few times to make sure what I got, fit.

Old guy.

Michael,

Call American Racing (you can find there number off their website). They know what fits. I replaced the 40+ year old torque thrust Ds on my stock fendered 1967 with new Torque Thrust Ds (the new ones all have matching rims whereas the very old "original" TT-Ds all had different lip treatments on the rims. Anyway, you are limited in size to 6 inches in width, and the tire size is limited also (I bought new BFG White Letter radial T/As (P215/70R15)) these tires are closest in overall diameter to the original bias ply tires I could find. The wheels are stock number 105-5661, style 105, size 15X6, bolt circle 5 x 4.75, & + 4mm offset. These clear the calipers and fenders, except in the front when the wheels are turned to either lock (if I replaced my front springs that might take care of that particular problem with rubbing on the fenders at lock). If you want bigger/wider you need flares, or the offset trailing arms, or go to 14 inch wheels, and/or spring jacks.

I used to have a 66 big block, with H70-15s on the rear and F70s on the front, the front rubbed and I removed some of the rear fender to clear these tires (not very smart at that age).

If stock is not an issue, then go with flares. If you want something that looks stock, and fits, what I tell you works....and I did talk to a lot of people and American Racing a few times to make sure what I got, fit.

Old guy.

I have been overwhelmed with the respose and help.

Thankyou to Everyone.

Michael

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom