Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

67 corvette w 425 hp motor?

murman

Corvette
1967 big block roadster
I've got a 67 with a 425 hp motor in it.
The suffix is ID which per Al Colvin means "special high performance 427, 11 engines built, no record of install"
There is no vin on the block, but it was assembled just a couple of weeks before my car came off the assembly line.
The car is in NJ, and has always been.
I'm the 23rd (and final) owner.
Any help authenticating this as the original motor would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Murray

Murray,

Welcome to the :CAC

Here are the engines from 1967.........

HD:327ci, 350hp (air injection reactor, manual transmission)
HE:327ci, 300hp (manual transmission)
HH:327ci, 300hp (air injection reactor, manual transmission)
HO:327ci, 300hp (automatic transmission)
HP:327ci, 350hp (air conditioning, manual transmission, power steering)
HR:327ci, 300hp (air injection reactor, automatic transmission)
HT:327ci, 350hp (manual transmission)
IL:427ci, 390hp (manual transmission)
IM:427ci, 390hp (air injection reactor, manual transmission)
IQ:427ci, 390hp (automatic transmission)
IR:427ci, 390hp (air injection reactor, automatic transmission)
IT:427ci, 430hp (L88), (manual transmission)
IU:427ci, 435hp (aluminum heads, manual transmission)
JA:427ci, 435hp (air injection reactor, manual transmission)
JC:427ci, 400hp (manual transmission)
JD:427ci, 400hp (automatic transmission)
JE:427ci, 435hp (manual transmission)
JF:427ci, 400hp (air injection reactor, manual transmission)
JG:427ci, 400hp (air injection reactor, automatic transmission)
JH:427ci, 435hp (air injection reactor, aluminum heads, manual transmission)
KH:327ci, 350hp (air conditioning, air injection reactor, manual transmission, power steering)

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c2/1967/67id.html

Tell us more about your car. :)

I understand the different configurations

I understand what was offered.
I also understand that there were 10 copo cars made, all for color changes that were not "available" in the sales brochures.
I'm just wondering if anyone might know about original cars with motors not listed above.

If I were "in the know" in 67, a 425 hp motor would be what I wanted. Many agree that the 3x2 435 tripower setup is more "show" than "go" and that the 66 425 hp setup with a single huge carb was more powerful and certainly easier to maintain.

If you wanted solid lifter 4 bolt motor in 67 but knew that the 435 setup was really a marketing scheme to promote 67's at a time when everyone knew that the new bodies were not quite ready and bumped to 68, then your only choice was the L88, which was very limiting in terms of heater, ac, trans, etc. plus tough to get (only 20 made).

Makes sense to me that someone might special order a 425 hp setup in a 67 and I'm wondering if there are any others floating around.

I understand that the ID suffix was supposed to be a passanger car engine with 11 made in 67.

For all you skeptics....

About 10 years ago, i placed an ad in NCRS magazine looking for info on my car, noting the 425 hp setup, and received a call from a North Carolina owner of a similar car, and he had the tank sticker to prove that his car came with a 425 hp motor.

I have a photocopy of his tank sticker from 67 coupe # 582, build # 78.
The options list option number 02L71AA - 425 hp turbo-jet and the bottom of the tank sticker notes, just below the last option "Texas State Fair"

Someone out there must know something.

Very interesting car Murray. Since the 425 horse 427 was used in COPO Camaros up through 1969 it is very possible that it could have found it's way into a 1967 Corvette. Does the car that you have the tank sticker copy for have pad stampings on the engine?

Tom

My car

My car has a tank sticker which remains on the tank. I have been reluctant to drop the tank because:
a. it's a job i'd rather not tackle if it's not necessary.
b. once the tank has been dropped, there is no way to verify that the tank (and tank sticker stuck to it) belong to my car.

my motor has an assembly date (a couple weeks before my car came off the assembly line) with suffix ID. There is no VIN number on the block.

My car has a tank sticker which remains on the tank. I have been reluctant to drop the tank because:
a. it's a job i'd rather not tackle if it's not necessary.
b. once the tank has been dropped, there is no way to verify that the tank (and tank sticker stuck to it) belong to my car.

my motor has an assembly date (a couple weeks before my car came off the assembly line) with suffix ID. There is no VIN number on the block.

"ID" is the suffix for a '66-'68 full-size passenger car L-72 (I had one in my '67 Impala SS427 which was special-ordered by Engineering that way, and I bought it out of the Engineering fleet in December of 1967); the '66 Corvette L-72 suffix was "IP" and "IK". There was no Corvette L-72 (427/425hp) engine available in 1967, and you couldn't just "order one". Every engine installed at St. Louis had the car's VIN derivative stamped on the block pad; if there's no VIN on your pad, the engine was transplanted later.

I've seen the same mis-print on other early '67 L-71 tank stickers before where the L-71 is printed as "425hp" - not unusual. "2L71AA" on the order (which is what the tank sticker is a copy of) triggers the Engineering Bill of Material to generate the part number for an L-71 engine assembly in the procurement system. There's no way that "ID"-suffixed engine is original to the car.

I've seen this same story before, maybe 3-4 years ago, on another forum. :eyerole

Thanks Alan

Thanks john, for your insight.

As far as the 23 owners is concerned, I have no idea why. I've traced it back to #3. It has always been in NJ since new (according to NJDMV) and had this motor since #3 (according to owner #3.

The best news is that is has never been hit, has one repaint (exposed panels only, not in door jams and inaccessable areas) And runs like a swiss watch.

I've had it for 13 years

Neat car, MURMAN

I think it is time to gather a groupe of Corvette friends.......as many past owners as possible.........a good vidio camara and digital camara and have a DROP THE GAS TANK PARTY.

If your car is a coupe, you should be able to read the sticker with a flashlight WITHOUT dropping the tank.

I find it interesting that the cast dates are correct for your car. I have learned over the years to never say never........but John knows more than anyone if the car had this engine installed .... it was an engineering exercise, and that too should be on the tank sheet

67fso.com

Look at www.67fso.com web page. Here you will see a real rare tank sticker that says BUILD TO FSO SPEC.

FSO means "FACTORY SHOP ORDER" and is a special order for this COPO car with special instructions. Car in question has:
1.- American Mag wheels and Goodyear Blue Streak Tires.
2.- White stinger stripe the entire car length
3.- Tripple tail lites FROM THE FACTORY
4.- Wide ratio trans, with 435hp engine and 3:55 positraction. Great for
Auto Cross Racing.

Maybe your car has a similar sheet on its tank.

Thanks Jim

Funny, I just sent your website link to a friend in NJ who is looking for a 65-67 small block roadster. He's put off buying one for years and now has some serious sticker shock.

I also never say never. As far as the tank sticker is concerned, the rubber around my gas filler neck is broken so I was able to peek to the side and saw the sticker on top of the tank. Problem is the car runs so well i can't stop driving it! I also know that dropping the tank leads to replacing the fuel lines and while you're at it ... etc. etc. etc.

One day I will drop the original tank in the presence of some respected NCRS guys and put a stainless tank in it's place, but it won' t happen until it's necessary. My priority might change if someone steps up and tells me that some of the eleven (11) ID suffix 425 hp motors that were produced in 67 (al colvin's Chevy by the Numbers book) wound up in vettes. Then I might be motivated to drop the tank.

As far as the vin numbers being stamped on the blocks, aren't there documented orig motor cars floating around that never got the vin stamped at the factory?

Thank you for that link.

Look at www.67fso.com web page. Here you will see a real rare tank sticker that says BUILD TO FSO SPEC.

FSO means "FACTORY SHOP ORDER" and is a special order for this COPO car with special instructions. Car in question has:
1.- American Mag wheels and Goodyear Blue Streak Tires.
2.- White stinger stripe the entire car length
3.- Tripple tail lites FROM THE FACTORY
4.- Wide ratio trans, with 435hp engine and 3:55 positraction. Great for
Auto Cross Racing.

Maybe your car has a similar sheet on its tank.

Another wierd thing about the tank sticker (copy) i received for a 67 with 425 hp motor was that it also included Option 02A32AA "Headrest bench seat"
How bout that? A bench seat in a corvette? I'm sure it's a mistake, so these buidl sheets/tank stickers were not that precise. Before you guys jump on me saying this is for a passenger car, I checked the top of the tank sticker which clearly states model 19437 CORVETTE SPT CPE"

Kevin MacKay has the Penske 66 coupe that had an 'original' FACTORY L-88 engine installed in the car. Dick Guldstrand and Gib Huffstater have confirmed that fact. Gib was the engineer......Dick picked the car up at St. Louis and DROVE it home to Pennsylvania.

The NUMBERS on that engine were special. Remember, they 'never' made a L-88 until 1967 per the black book and all expert sources. I believe Gib said 9 cars had them........all race cars.

Just take your time........enjoy the car, and document anything you find.

Thank you Jim

I keep a file on anything that I learn. As you can tell, i'm not on a rampage to document anything on this car, but I do enjoy gathering information to put the history together and meeting some good folks along the way.

A few years ago I tracked down Owner number 4, who had the car repossesed in 74 because he couldn't make the payments. He hadn't seen the car in 25 years and was so excited to see it, so we met up at a local cruise night. He brought his new wife and was telling her stories about the car and got real sentimental about the car so I tossed him the keys and told him to take her for a ride. He was gone for like 20 minutes and I started to worry if I made a mistake but soon heard him coming (and felt the ground shaking) and he came back with a grin from ear to ear. He's a prety wealthy guy now and said money is no object name your price but I told him that Owning a 67 big block roadster was a life long dream of mine and that it was not for sale at any price.

The VP at the bank that reposessed the car took ownership himself and was the first in line in 1975 when NJ started issuing vanity tags so he got the plate "67 Vette" for it and drove it to work on Nice days.

Getting to know all 23 owners has been alot of fun, but I'd like to get to the first one, who definitely bought it new in NJ.

Now, don't you guys show up claiming to be the original owner and think i'm gonna toss you the keys, but if you can prove it, we can go for a spin.... TOGETHER!

I'm back

4 years later and glad to see this board still running.
Still got the car, although the purist in me lost out to the pragmatist who got sick of it overheating and replaced the radiator and water pump with high performance stuff. Problem with those electric fans is they run for 10 mins after stopping the car. Seems like they cool the fluid in the radiator, but the not the fluid in the block so after 5 mins I restart the car to move the cooler fluid into the block which then shuts off the fans. But it does not look or feel original so I drive the car less and keep the hood down at cruise nights (Am I ashamed?)
Any addl info on the possibility of a ID suffix block being original to this car would be helpful.
thanks,
Murray

Murray-

Can't help you with the ID suffix, but your fans are not wired correctly. Sounds like they're getting full-time 12V irrespective of ignition key position. Install a suitable relay on this feed and power the switching side of the relay off the run position of the ignition switch.

I tend to agree with other posts here...the engine you have in the car was likely a replacement engine installed during the car's "life" before you owned it. The fact that no VIN is on the ID number pad and that it's an L72 whiuch was not available in 67 seem to support that.

As for the fans running...I converted my 71 to dual electric fans a number of years ago and I did it the way "Mikey" suggests...using a relay and taking the relay signal from somewhere that's hot only with the ign. is "on" through a temperature switch screwed into the cooling jacket. I ran the relay load straight from the battery to the fan motors.

The electric fans and a big Griffin aluminum radiator have kept my 71 BBC hot rod cool as a cucumber ever since.

Still got the car, although the purist in me lost out to the pragmatist who got sick of it overheating and replaced the radiator and water pump with high performance stuff.

Any addl info on the possibility of a ID suffix block being original to this car would be helpful.
thanks,
Murray

If the cooling system is properly configured (stock radiator, shroud, seals, fan and clutch) and the ignition timing map is set up correctly (initial timing, centrifugal advance curve, and vacuum advance connected to full manifold vacuum with the correct advance can), it won't "overheat". You might read this to understand how your cooling system really operates:

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_info/cooling system/cooling.pdf

As I noted four years ago, there's zero chance that the "ID"-suffixed engine is original to your car.

:beer

It would be interesting to see what engine serial number is on the title or registration...all necessary to plate a new car.....I don't believe the car was plated without that information let alone get it past a insurance company irregardless what might be.... the logical explanation is that the car received a dealer transplant or by a previous owner way up in that chain of 23 owners...so has many of the forum readers here agree to the same conclusions.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom