Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

67Heaven and VNV another 502 midyear

Corvette
66 LS1 roadster 06 roadster
Here is another 502 project midyear that will be at carlisle this upcoming year. I have attached a pic and a link to the page where I am attempting to put a Ram Jet 502 inconspicuously under the hood of Dennis Manires 67 Roadster. Take a look at the hideous hood that was built for the car before I took over the project (hey VNV it would look good on your car though :L ) here is a link to current pics. http://www.allmusclecars.com/projects/ramjet_502_corvette.htm
here is a pic of the engine with a modified intake...
dcm502frt.JPG
Let me know what y'all think!! Dennis

Wow Dennis,

That is very cool! Now I could put an injected 502 in my car with only a hood change:D

How much did you have to shorten the runners?

Keep the info coming on this one....this is great.

Take care,
Brian

midyear said:
Here is another 502 project midyear that will be at carlisle this upcoming year. I have attached a pic and a link to the page where I am attempting to put a Ram Jet 502 inconspicuously under the hood of Dennis Manires 67 Roadster. Take a look at the hideous hood that was built for the car before I took over the project (hey VNV it would look good on your car though :L ) here is a link to current pics. http://www.allmusclecars.com/projects/ramjet_502_corvette.htm
here is a pic of the engine with a modified intake...
dcm502frt.JPG
Let me know what y'all think!! Dennis
Heh Dennis,
I saw the pic's that Dennis #1 showed me at Carlisle. He told me he was adding one inch to the height of the hood. I wasn't to hep on that but what ever floats your boat.

Glad to see that you have taken over the project. Your solution seems the best way to go. But now that you have shortened the runners..how will that effect the 502's performance?

Did he end up using the Z Bar adapter plate from Scoggens Dicky ..and did it fit in their with out cutting the bar?

Also..did D#1 change out the SB drive yokes on the rear diff?? Or is he using the SB ones?

Also..I went to the "Sweet Thunder" Side Pipes (2 1/4 " Internal Baffle) and the Sanderson Headers. What's the plan for the exchaust?

I see that D#1 is using the stock Cast Iron BB exhaust Manifolds. I was told that the ports are not a perfect match to the 502's Aluminiun heads. What's the plan there.??

Mark,

Clutch is a jumbled mess, it works but that is all I can say good about it. The z bar has been cut and cobbled, the bracket on the block looks homemade and out of too thin a material for my liking, I can see it flex upon clutch application. I have designed a new bracket and will have it built in the next few weeks, I will let you know how it works out.

I plan on changing rear halfshafts out for larger C3 items, and changing rear yokes out for the BB ones. As for exhaust it currently has manifolds and GM pipes, these will most likely stay.

I must say I am dissapointed with the electronics for this engine, I will most likely add the AS&M O2 sensor mod harness and computor for better mileage and performance. I also will be adding a vintage AC system to it and fixing the cobbled up alt and ps brackets, and rewiring most all of the car. I will keep the page updated as it comes together.

Dennis

midyear said:
Mark,

Clutch is a jumbled mess, it works but that is all I can say good about it. The z bar has been cut and cobbled, the bracket on the block looks homemade and out of too thin a material for my liking, I can see it flex upon clutch application. I have designed a new bracket and will have it built in the next few weeks, I will let you know how it works out.

I plan on changing rear halfshafts out for larger C3 items, and changing rear yokes out for the BB ones. As for exhaust it currently has manifolds and GM pipes, these will most likely stay.

I must say I am dissapointed with the electronics for this engine, I will most likely add the AS&M O2 sensor mod harness and computor for better mileage and performance. I also will be adding a vintage AC system to it and fixing the cobbled up alt and ps brackets, and rewiring most all of the car. I will keep the page updated as it comes together.

Dennis

Go back and look at my post again I added an item or two. Also keep me posted on the Z bar bracket.

Here's what I'm using. SOme people say they have had to cut the shaft even with this bracket.. Some say it works????

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/1006/products/8875/Clutch-Pivot-Ball-Bracket-for-Corvettes.htm

Dennis,

This is a very interesting project. Back some time ago, I considered the RamJet, but realized that the hood would have to be raised and extended and I didn't want to do that.

The desireability of the injected unit (to me at least) is the instant throttle response. After driving nothing but injected cars for so many years, I do notice a slight lag in response time with the Holley 850. When the air/fuel mixture finally gets to where my toe is pointing, it's like a mini-explosion going off. :D I think "some" of that can be tuned out next spring when I have some road time.

I'm really curious to hear what the effect on performance is after shortening the runners that much.

Good stuff, Dennis. Keep it coming.
:beer

Dennis,

Your solution is a much better looking way to go. It will probably be so subtle that most folks won't know unless you mention it. Good luck with the project.

Rich Lagasse

Larry,

This is Dennis and Cindy from the Registry's car.

Tom
IH2LOSE said:
Dennis

Excellent solution.If Gm would lower that manifold I am sure they would sell a lot more of that crate motor. Is this blue stripes car?

That first hood, well, I'm glad you're fixing things, Dennis!!

-Mac

Got to bump it since there has been progress if no one has checked back.

Tom

sting66ray said:
Got to bump it since there has been progress if no one has checked back.

Tom
Yeah...Me Bump too......

Heh Dennis,.......What's going on ???? Any more stuff done??? What's up with the "Z" Bar Bracket???? :naughty:

Hey Guys,

Ya, the car is coming along.........wish it was going faster. Since this post started I have put in well over 150 hours in this thing. They have plans to take it to the NCRS winter regional show in Florida jan 19/22 2005 (that should be a hoot:L ), so I have tons still to do to finish it in time. Heres a quick list of whats been done: new seat covers, new carpet w/heat barrier, all interior parts refinished including dash and pads, new top, dash redone w/electronic tach, clock converted to quartz, vintage AC 95% installed, new pulleys and brackets on engine, intake installed and car is running again, custom cold air induction is being built, and tons of little stuff. Holidays have put a serious delay on my ability to get any parts in a timely manner.

"The hood" :ugh , I am tired of working on the hood!!!! The top is nearly done, but somehow we came up with the idea of painting the underside blue w/a white stinger to match the top, I have too many untold hours working the bottom of this thing. As of today it only lacks minor things on it and I am hoping to get it and the front clip painted the first of next week while the computer is out being reprogramed by AS&M.

After paint I only need to reinstall computer w/harness mods + O2 bungs, rewire engine compartment, charge AC, install new custom CAI, fix ammeter, change rear gear ratio, add big block side yokes, later larger halfshafts, repair broken welds on rear frame/axle mount, finish clutch linkage, 1 new rear caliper, hidden audio/cd system, and time permitting, maybe actually test drive it!!! can I do it in 3 weeks??? probably. I did get a new digital camcorder for Xmas so I will make a video of the finished car. Also I update the same link every week with new pics, should have more added tomorrow.
http://www.allmusclecars.com/projects/ramjet_502_corvette.htm

And thats not my only crazy project, how about a 53 caddy convert, frame off resto rod, stock looking but being built with a LT1, 700R4, power R&P, power brakes, vintage AC, power everything, yup, I am a glutton for punishment, heres a link to it just for amusement http://www.allmusclecars.com/projects/1953_caddy.htm

Dennis

Believe it or not, I saw one of these auld Caddy monsters (hardtop, not vert) cruising in Vancouver last week. It sounded like there was something powerful and non-stock was hiding under that mile-long hood. :D

-Mac

Man....Cindy& Dennis are gonna pay big time for that work. I thought it was just the hood and small amount of motor work..not A/C and Interior Gack..ETC..
And don't forget to put in that $300.00 Stock Looking Electronic Tach he bought at Carlisle....

Can You say....Heh....While Your At It.........:L

Well I'm sure when it's done it'll rock...keep us posted.

IH2LOSE said:
Now this looks like an engine bay that could swallow a 502 NO Problem.
Larry, I knew you would like this one!! Actualy this engine bay is not as big as you think. I am attaching a pic of how a stock caddy looks just to show how small the engine bay is. Plus by looking at a stock engine bay you can really see how modded this car is under the hood, notice where I put a booster and master cylinder used to be the heater! engine bay in this beast has been a challange to say the least. Dennis

53_caddy_engine.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom