Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

68-73 rear bumpers

T

Tim73454

Are the bumpers for 68-73 stamped with a part number. I just bought a pair of "NOS" bumpers off of eBay and they are not stamped. The also have a strange little yellow tag on them from a plate shop with a date from 1989!!! I think I got took one more time on eBay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim73454

Tim, I belive you have some sort of recourse if you bought an item that is not as advertised. Check eBays term and conditions.
Gary

Pictures of the stickers on the "NOS" Bumpers

Don't know if you can see but the yellow sticker says
"lot 41"
"General Plating"
"Date 5 11 89"

For some reason I think I've been had???

Tim73454

Got taken? Maybe not, could be that you got a set with some great plating, maybe not NOS but may be better then NOS. All depends upon how they look.

tom...

By the way, all 68 through 73 rear bumpers are the same part number (according to my interchange manual). Right is 3922070, Left is 3922069.

tom...

Tom was the part number stamped on them or was it just on the paper stamp? They do look pretty good, but I could have rechromed mine for a lot less....

Tim73454

68 - 73 rear bumpers

Tom --
I have a pair of NOS bumpers in the attic. I'll dig them out tomorrow and check for idenification.
Cal

Question -- when did GM stop making these bumpers?

Could these be NOS, but not made in 68 -- 73, but made later and sold thru dealers for crash repairs? If so, since they were made by the general, would they still be NOS....?

Don't have answers.....just more questions.

???

68-73 bumpers

Martin --
In that case they'd be called "re-issued." Man, can we get hair-splitting with this stuff or what?
That's one gorgeous 72 you have!
Cal

Thanks for looking Cal. The only marking I see are on one of the brackets. They are marked "L" and "R". Don't know how you could ever get them on wrong but I guess anything is posible!!!

Tim73454

Tim --
My NOS bumpers are the same as you describe, only a "R" or"L" on the outboard bracket.
Sounds like you have original units that were re-chromed in 89. Assuming you are doing some degree of restoration (as opposed to holding parts as an investment), those bumpers are probably equal to, or maybe better, than NOS.
Cal

Tim,
My "NOS" bumpers have the same stickers you have. Only I can't read the small yellow ones because the GM sticker all but covers them. Now I'm wondering too. All I know is they look great so I'm not going to worry about it.

-john

I was told by a NCRS guy that they are NOS and the Stickers or correct. SO I thonk we are ok....

Tim73454

Just because they were made by GM doesn't mean that they were chromed by GM. In fact I have never heard of GM running it's own chroming operation. This was surely outsourced to the company on the tag.

As far as the part goes, as long as there is sufficient demand the part will continue to be made and sold through GM dealerships. There are still some C1 and other old parts in the books if you look. When the warehouse inventory gets down to a certain level and the demand is still above the cutoff point another run of bumpers will be ordered from whomever the supplier to GM is. It is very likely that the '68-'73 rear bumpers were still being made and sold in '89 and later.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom