Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

68 big block 4 speed coupe

M

moxy

well, I just bought a 68 coupe, with a 427 390 4 speed basket case.

Help, the frame is painted right yellow, the body is half off, where do you start

Like any other project, you start from the bottem and work your way up. You can have a beutiful body but, if the frame ain't no good, your body won't last long.
First, if the body is half off, half of your work is done. Take it the rest of the way off and take care of the frame. While the body is off, clean and repair the bottem of the body, redo any wiring that needs attention ( replace battery cables), replace any insulation and heat shielding that is missing. After this is done and the frame is ready, with motor, trans, exhaust, gas tank, shifter, etc is on the frame, set the body back on it and start doing body work, keep in mind to cover all prevoius work........Hope this helps ya a little.........Steve

I also need a pair of 68 doors and hardware the doors on the car were changed, don't know why

Moxy,

Welcome to the best site around, I'm sure you'll be given alot of great advice here.

Make up a list of parts you need and I maybe able to help you some.
I've got a couple door's and a bunch of other 68 part's. It's about time for me to do some spring cleaning.

Does your Vette have the door panel's with or without the grab bars?

Rick

Good luck and don't give up

68 coupe

I need the doors, outer hardware, the inner hardware ? I don;t know if the door panels are compatible or not, the look like early 70's type panels. I would like to get a pair of original doors, the rest of the car appears to be original. I will know more as I take it apart.

Thanks

68 restoration

Hi!
I think you need to decide what you want the 68 to be when your done. Will it be a driver or do you want to restore the car. I am in the middle of a total body-off restoration of a 1965. If this is the direction you decide to go, secure as many resource books as possible. A good camera for taking pictures. I use a digital camera and save the pictures with a description of the removal process. This should provide valuable information when reassembling. I store all small parts, nuts and bolds in zip-lock bags with a note describing there usage and tag the large parts. Try and make a list of parts that you are going to need and then secure some parts catalogs. The catalogs will provide a baseline for the cost of each part. You then can start shopping for the parts that you will need. Swap meets, on-line sales, and other sources for parts. There are many organizations that can provide valuable information. CAC, NCRS, and CRPL are very good sites.
I hope this helps!
Ray

68 coupe

I am going to remove the body and redo the frame and all components, bushings, rubbers, the rear end was redone already.
Where will I find info regarding frame finnish etc. Is eckler the best supplier for bushing kits etc.

Welcome to the CAC

Bill,

Welcome aboard. You will need an AIM ( Assembly Instruction Manual) and a GM Service Manual for 1968. Eckler's is a good source as well as many others. Search in the Portal for about anything you will need in parts and services. Also check out this thread on frame restoration for some valuable information.

As for the best frame finish John Hinckley , who posts here as JohnZ, recently posted on the NCRS Technical Discussion Board that PPG brand DP-90 medium gloss epoxy primer flattened about 20% is "an excellent compromise between correct appearance and modern durability; still looks like it did five years ago, and the usual road grime and dirt, rain splash, etc. just falls off when I hit it with a hose and it's clean again." Thanks For the info John.

You can also check out the NCRS bookstore for valuable restoration resources and become a NCRS member by visiting the NCRS site. .

Good luck on your project and ask whenever we can help with anything.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom