Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

68 vin number????

T

Tim73454

Looking at a 68 t-top car. The vin is "FLA8S424***" Looking at the spec page I don't see anything about a vin that starts "FLA"???

Does anyone know what this means?

Also is there anyway to tell what the oginal engine was? It has a 427 hood on it that doesn't look right to me. Is there an opening on the 427 hood or was it solid and just higher?

I know on my 73 the "Z" tells the engine but I didn't see anything about the engine on the spec page...

Thanks

Tim73454

Sadly, the engine code didn't appear in the VIN until 72, that's why more 67 427s have been judged by the NCRS than Chevy ever built:eyerole.

As for a VIN starting with FLA, that's a mystery to me. It should be 194378S4XXXXX. The only letter that would have ever appeared in a 68 VIN is "S" for St. Louis. Where is this number stamped, is it the full VIN on the A-pillar or are you looking at the block or some other VIN derivative? If it's the engine block, 3 digit codes didn't start until '70 and all of the Vette blocks through 79 (I think) started with a "C".

Unless I'm just missing something, this seems a little wierd to me.

It is on the post. The engine is a replacement 454. I'm wondering if it is a salvage or something..... Sure doesn't look right.

Do you know anything about the hood???

Tim73454 said:
It is on the post. The engine is a replacement 454. I'm wondering if it is a salvage or something..... Sure doesn't look right.

Do you know anything about the hood???

Sorry Tim, I completely forgot about the hood question. The big block hoods did not have holes in them though some people did cut them at the recessed area which made the engine subject to getting water in strange places in downpours.

- Eric:w

Tim,
Take a look at the title for the car. Have a feeling that it may be a state issued VIN. Maybe a theft recover or ???? Probably from Flordia.

tom...

Agree with Tom. It's a state assigned VIN from Florida. The original VIN tag should be on the drivers side windshield frame, visible from the outside. The car could be a theft recovery, or a previous salvage vehicle. Check the title carefully. I personally would never buy a car with a state issued VIN. They're commonly called "Voodoo" tags up here in Maryland. No way to check the motor size by VIN. That began in 72. The big block hoods are not open, just raised. You might be confusing the big block/LT 1 hood with the L88 hood. Chuck

Just a little info on the Fla VIN that I found out from a personal experience. I had my 79 stolen and recovered. After buying it back from the insurance company a Fla VIN was affixed to the driver side cowl and inspected by a Fla DMV represenative.The original was left intact on the pillar.
Also there is a VIN # on the top of the frame rail ,driver side, behind the rear hump on the flat top of the frame. It is accessable by removing the left rear tail light and looking in with a flashlight. You can also rub the # with a paper and pencil. Hope this helps. Fred

Great info guys. I will look for the othe ones and see what I find. This one is on the pillar but it si not a good fit like the original. It had a hunp in it like it was just a little oversized.

I'm not sure it is what I'm looking for but a friend of mine is looking for donor to build a vette hotrod and he may get it.

Thanks again

Tim73454

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom