Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'69 bb/sb

• Thread starter Thread starter corvettebryan
  • Start date Start date
C

corvettebryan

I've heard a majority of the 70's vettes' chassis can hold a small block or a big block without having to cut an' weld anything. Does anyone know if a 69 will do the same. Basically I wanna take the 350 out of mine and put 427 in, since it's not the original anyway I might as well have more....right?

I took the small block out of my 72 and installed a 454, it fits fine but might be a little longer than the small block. The problem I ran into was finding the pulley/ accessory mounting pieces and I ended up going with a street and performance serpentine drive system. If I were doing it again I would look into the vintage air serpentine drive setup, they have it out for big blocks now. You will need a new exhaust system for it so thats the perfect excuse to do the hooker header/ sidepipe thing. I also used an L-88 aftermarket hood to have enough clearance for a decent air filter setup.

Hope this helps,
Mike

corvettebryan said:
I've heard a majority of the 70's vettes' chassis can hold a small block or a big block without having to cut an' weld anything. Does anyone know if a 69 will do the same. Basically I wanna take the 350 out of mine and put 427 in, since it's not the original anyway I might as well have more....right?
The frame from 65 -82 will accept a bigblock (63 and 64 do not have the necessary notches in the front cross member that allows for clearance for the BB pullies). Just remember the suspension changes, the increased cooling, the accessory brackets, and the low-rise intake that you will need.

tom...

you will need all new acc brackets, fan shroud, exhaust, suspension, etc. have you considdered a high-hp small block instead?? it may be cheaper in the long run. Brian

even though I am a fan of the small block Nothin fills an engine bay like a Big Block

I think ive decided to stick with a small block, now my next situation;
Currently no a/c is installed, is it worth the trouble?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom