Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

69 Wont Start

edevince

Corvette
1969 LeMans Blue Coupe
Has very little crank power before click-click-click noise. Does not even help by jump start attempt. But battery reads 12.5 volts across terminals. Any ideas?

Grounds or battery..Had same issue with an 89 i had, turned out to be the battery even tho it showed 13 volts. Get the battery load tested to see if that's the culprit.

The - cable from the batt is bolted to the rear cross member & exposed to the weather,you might want to check that.The 1 on my old 78 practically rotted away.

I'm with Wayback....
Had same issue with my 68...even pulled starter to check it.
Ended up being the battery ground at the frame

At 12.5, the battery is a little low. Should be 12.6-12.8, depending on battery condition and when last charged.

Check the cleanliness of the battery connections. Check that ground connection. Check the connection at the starter. Sometimes, there's a cable between the frame and the engine block. Check that, too.

Place your voltmeter + to the Battery neg. terminal. Place the voltmeter - to a good clean metal spot on the block. Crank the engine. Ideally the voltmeter should read zero volts. Current through the ground cable should produce zero volt drop if the cable and all connections are good

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom