Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

70 with power steering

70 LT-1 convert

Can anyone confirm if the 70 LT-1 was available with power steering. Does anyone have one with power steering? I have been told it was not available and I would like to get the other owners inputs. Mine does not have that option but the only options on my car are the radio and rear window defogger.
Thanks for the info.
Dean

If I am correct, no 1970 LT-1 was available with the power steering or the AC options. Power brakes may have been available. Mine is void of options like yours. What does confuse me is the fact that the CTU coded engines had 6 qt oil pans that were reduced to 5 on the CTK coded engines from serial number 8607 in early may. This was to accomadate the power steering set up, but do not believe the option was offered. The change may have been for the L46 which used the same block set up.

As a note, I have a 6 qt pan and a June 29 build. Since my block was replaced with a 71, the pan might be from a donor, but finding a good pan from an early 70 seems like it would be hard to do so I do think it is the original.

That right. After reading your explaination I recall hearing that late 70's had the pan changed and I think PS became available with some late LT-1's and both the 71 and 72 LT-1's
Thanks,
Dean

70 LT-1 convert said:
That right. After reading your explaination I recall hearing that late 70's had the pan changed and I think PS became available with some late LT-1's and both the 71 and 72 LT-1's
Thanks,
Dean
I have heard conflicting reports regarding PS on '70 LT-1s. The LT-1 registry has some registered with PS, but they could have been add-ons. Anyone have a documented PS '70?

There was a change in oil pan configuration, designated by the CTK engine code. The CTU had a larger pan. The size was done to accomodate the PS assembly, but I was underthe belief that the 70 could not be ordered with PS, PB or AC, yet have seen several that were.

JRZYDVL said:
There was a change in oil pan configuration, designated by the CTK engine code. The CTU had a larger pan. The size was done to accomodate the PS assembly, but I was underthe belief that the 70 could not be ordered with PS, PB or AC, yet have seen several that were.
JR,
thats what I like about '70s. Theres lots to talk about. I will be looking into this PS and PB option and will post what I find. AC was not available. I have a '70 convert #1034 which has power steering. I think it may be add-on, but the steering box appears to be factory PS style box. Hopefully that wish list will turn up somewhere, and '70 owners can verify factory options to specific cars. Thanks for the post.

JRZYDVL said:
Check out www.1970corvetteregistry.org. Juliet knows the seventies inside out. The NCRS discussion board also should be of some help.
JR,
The LT-1 registry shows 2 N40 PS cars. #007 & 503, and 14 PB cars. I will contact Juliet at 70s Registry and see what they can add. My thinking is that if you were willing to pay for it, and they could easily add it, theyd sell it to you. That was back when you could special order crazy combinations.

Accept that according to NCRS and the Judging manual, the smaller oil pan was not available until # 8607 (May 7, 1970). This is Chevrolet info. Since there are NO deviations from this according to NCRS, it was probably a retrofit.

I have a post in at the NCRS board and another Forum I belong to, so I should have some updates tomorrow.

70 LT-1 with power steering

I have a 1970 LT-1 with power steering.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom