Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

700R4 stuck in drive

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hey everyone,

I tried to back out of a parking spot. I was very surprised to find out that with the car in reverse, it went forward. I was even more surprised to find out that with the car in neutral, it went forward. In park it tries to move forward, but can't.

So what can cause a transmission to get stuck in drive regardless of the gear shift position?

All ideas are appreciated!!!!

did the linkage or the shifter break????:ugh
take one of the side covers off the console to check....

good luck!!!:upthumbs

No such luck.
I looked under the car and had my wife shift through the gears. The arm on the transmission did move, so it isn't a linkage problem.
It looks like whatever my problem is, it is inside the transmission.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

Make sure the arm is turning the shifter shaft, it be stripped and not turning the shaft. Call a transmission shop and ask them about it, they usually will treat you right, at least the ones here that I have worked with.

The linkage has come off inside the trans. Common problem on 700R4. You have to replace a clip but you have to pull the trans pan to do it.
Mike

How much disassembly does it take to reach this clip?
I don't mind dropping the pan, but I don't want to go much deeper than that.

Thanks!

you can get at it by just dropping the pan there is a little "S" clip that connects the shift arm to a valve in the valve body that controls what gear you are in.

If that s-clip is detached, would "Park" still lock the wheels and keep the car from rolling?

Thanks!

Yes. There are two rods attaching to the shift shaft. The large rod is for the parking pawl and the small one is for the valve body. The small one is the one that has come loose.
Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom