Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 700R4 swap

tomgok

Corvette
76 L-48,coupe
Does anyone know how difficult it would be to swap in an 700R4 from TH350 in a C-3?

Change the crossmember, shorten the drive shaft and some small things. How difficult depends on your skills, time, tools and available friends.
When you compair work to benefits then it's a must have!

Greetings Peter

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to swap in an 700R4 from TH350 in a C-3?

I actually just did this in my car.

Original driveshaft length was 28" center to center. Measured center of u-joint endcap on transmission yoke to center on Differential u-joint endcap at 25 3/4". Had driveshaft shortened to 25 5/8" and installed Spicer heavey duty greaseless u-joints and it fit like a glove.

Haven't had anything on this car go as smoothly as this.

Also I ordered the 82 Vette 700R4 Transmission lines which also fit perfectly. You may be able to use your original lines but not sure. I didn't want to risk it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cst-cvt1008-sc

You will need to either buy a new shifter

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-80683

or order the parts from Ecklers to make the one you have work.

You also need to figure out if the one you swap has a lock-up converter since you have no ECM to reun the transmission, you will need to install a lock-up kit to make your converter lock-up in 4th gear or you will run into problems with your transmission heating.

Hope this helps,

R/Razor

Shift works makes a nice conversion for you existing shifter. check this out.
SHIFTWORKS - Corvette - 1968-81

Bowtie Overdrives has a nice crossmember. Makes exhaust much easier and they have other goodies you might find interesting. If you use this crossmember you will need a smooth tail shaft extension. I believe as there transmissions show.

Bowtie Overdrives - View Item

scout around these site you will find some interesting info.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom