Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 700r4 trans into 1963 corvette

smitts

Corvette
1984 Black coupe & 1967 Red Convertible
Can anyone tell me if a 700r4 transmission will work in a 1963 corvette without any body modifications and if it does work is there a kit offered? I believe the driveshaft may be shorter and don't know about the mounting. I'm running a 300hp 327 with the old powerglide (2-speed).

pgsmith@stny.rr.com

thanks,
chris......

Chris,

I am sure that someone has a kit out there available, but you'll always hear me plugging the 200-4r tranny. These days, Buick Grand National's owners have learned to squeeze the maximum from these trannys.

Now-a-days you can get a stout 200-4r for your Vette which is within an 1/8 of an inch of Powerglide dimensions. However, the driveshaft lenghts remains stock, and you'll only have to change the cross member support (the rubber tranny mount is about 5.5" - 6" aft from what a powerglide mount location is.

I have the Level 2 from PATC. As a matter of fact, I bought it and installed it a year ago. Runs like a champ.

www.transmissioncenter.net

Monster Transmission are very good as well.

monstertrans dot com

Chris,

I am sure that someone has a kit out there available, but you'll always hear me plugging the 200-4r tranny. These days, Buick Grand National's owners have learned to squeeze the maximum from these trannys.

Now-a-days you can get a stout 200-4r for your Vette which is within an 1/8 of an inch of Powerglide dimensions. However, the driveshaft lenghts remains stock, and you'll only have to change the cross member support (the rubber tranny mount is about 5.5" - 6" aft from what a powerglide mount location is.

I have the Level 2 from PATC. As a matter of fact, I bought it and installed it a year ago. Runs like a champ.

www.transmissioncenter.net

Monster Transmission are very good as well.

monstertrans dot com

Thanks for this info I'll do some checking. Is the 2004r an overdrive tranny?

Thanks for this info I'll do some checking. Is the 2004r an overdrive tranny?

Yes! It is an automatic transmission with an overdrive 4th gear. Its original design was excellent, but it suffered from weak points inside. By now, many true gearheads, have solve its ailments.

Bowtie Transmissions, Art Carr Transmissions, and others have made available a solid product.

Here is an interesting comparison I found through Gbodyforum.com

THM 200-4R

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom