Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

700r4

corvette66

Corvette
1969 427
How well do the 700r4 tranis fit in the c3's. my trani in the 80 just took a major pooo. I know they may differ from the ones in the pickups longer tail shaft and such, what type of vehicle should i look to get one out of, or what should i look for in the 700r4 and ideas? oh and do the drive shafts fit?

thanx.

Well.... they fit just fine! However- you MUST use a different cross member (or seriously modify yours) and shorten the drive shaft.

I've done this before as well as many others (I know Evolution 80 has too).

Search for 700R4 in the C3 posts. You'll find a lot of opinions.

If you want something that fits one on one go for a 200R4.
If you still want a 700R4 I would say get a later one from a Corvette (something like 88/89 or later)
You have to change your crossmember, driveshaft, lockup needs to be changed, If you want it to work perfect change the bracket beside your carb to hookup the tv cable.
I don't know if you have the original exhaust and if it's the same as on a 81 but a 700 is longer then a 350 so my stock exhaust didn't fit anymore. So "fits just fine" is a little to easy ;)

Groeten Peter

I bought the stage 2 from Bowtie Overdrives with their crossmember. It went in with no problems. I had to shorten the driveshaft, but that didn't cost much. It took about 20 min to wire in the lockup harness. The crossmember gave me a lot more room for the exhaust.

Another overdrive GM tranny.

If I remeber correctly it was in the Grand National, among other cars.

Generally, the recommendation is that the 2004r matches to the numerically lower rear gears , ie, 3:08, while the 700r4 is a better match to the higher numbers, 4:11. I haver the 700r4 with 3:08's and have very low rpms, too low in my opirnion, at anything under about 60 or 65.

I have a 700R4 with a 2.7 rear end. The RPM's are low, but I get 22+ mpg at 70 mph. With the Carburetor tuned correctly I can squeal the tires, but not smoke them (I have never tried to power brake it).

The 700R4 was only used on one C3 corvette: 1982. It will fit in earlier Corvettes, but you will have to buy a 1982 drive shaft and crossmember (or modify yours to resemble the 1982 parts).

Good Luck!

If you go 700R, get one from a 89 or later car. The early ones have issues.

i see,
I noticed that the c3 stick shift cars have a shorter shaft than the automatics. Do you think it might be the right size for the 700R

i see,
I noticed that the c3 stick shift cars have a shorter shaft than the automatics. Do you think it might be the right size for the 700R

Go with an '82 drive shaft for the 700R4. Grab the 82's xmember too!

I want with the 200-R4 in my 75, (Its said that they were in the Buick Grand Nash cars?) it was a perfect fit/replacement from the TH-400.I have 3:08 rear gears.no mods to the cross member. there TV connector and Elec lockup connector helped make the install much easier.
I went with BTO stage 3,they were very helpful every time I called them.
good luck.

I have been looking at just replacing the turbo 400 for now, i am seeing a short tail and long tail shaft version. The vette has the short tail right? The long tail would be a pick up trani?? Also the turbo 350 is a tad shorter isn't it? Or are they the same length?

Dont forget that you will need to change the shifter also. You will need a shifter that has the overdrive on it! The S-10 chevy pickup also had the 200r4 tranny too.The 700r4 is a stronger tranny, although it takes a little more modification to fit than the 200r4.

I have been looking at just replacing the turbo 400 for now, i am seeing a short tail and long tail shaft version. The vette has the short tail right? The long tail would be a pick up trani?? Also the turbo 350 is a tad shorter isn't it? Or are they the same length?

You are correct- the long shaft 400 was used in pickups and some Cadillacs.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom