Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'71 Fan Motor switch

Bwmurph

Corvette
'59 Blk/Red, '12 Crystal Red GS
The fan motor switch in the console on my '71 seems to be way too hot to the touch when operating; is that normal ? I'm guessing not, but has anyone else run into this and what is the problem / fix.

BTW, I've replaced this switch at least twice in the past 4 - 6 years because they failed. The current switch has been in use for about 4.5 years, and to my recollection has always been hot, as were the others. I'm having other issues with car right now (radio died, AC compressor died) and thought I would look into it.

Any help will be appreciated,

Bernie O

The female spade connector loses it grip over time & the resistance causes heat.That eventually burns out the switch.

Thanks Wayback; I noticed both of the other switches showed signs of overheating. So, can I assume this is a common occurrence wit these things ? Any kind of a fix ? Sure don't want the car burning down because of a lousy fan switch !

Bernie O

If the connector isn't badly distorted you can remove the spade.Theres a little tab on the spade that holdes it in place.Push the wire in then depress the tab from the front & hold it down then just pull back,the spade & wire will come out from the connector then.You will have to find replacements spades.2 other options would be just use a small screwdriver & compress the female rolled edges down some to tighten then up,#2 there might be a replacement connector avaliable with pig tails made you can splice in. Good luck !

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom