Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

71 Fuel Gauge

Alan 71

Corvette
Could someone offer some suggestions on how to trouble shoot my fuel gauge. It worked while the tank was empty and I moved the float up and down by reaching into the tank. Now with gas in the tank I get no reaction at the gauge. The float is at the suface the gas.
Of all the things I'm dumb about I seem to be dumbest about things electrical.
Thanks,
Alan

My guess is you lost the ground to the sender or the feed wire to the gage from the sender. One of the 2 connection shown in the picure.

gastank.jpg

Thanks Duke. Can you tell me how to check to see if I have a good ground? I do have a Multi-Meter that I'm just getting familiar with. Would I use it to track this problem?
Thanks for your help,again.
Alan

I would run a temporary ground wire from the frame to the blade terminal you see in the pic. Also pull off the other lead and make sure it is clean.

Easy way to check for ground is to just run another one. Use a piece of 16 gage wire fasten one end to a bolt or screw IN THE FRAME. Make sure the frame is clean where you connect the wire. Then just touch the other end to the ground lug on the tank sending unit. You will need to remove the spare tire tub. The sending unit is mounted on the bottom of the tank. Also check the fuse.

I found this article, the 3rd page starts the fuel gage part. Might help you trouble shoot the system.

http://lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/vettetech_files/Troubleshooting gauges.pdf

Thanks Duke. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow. I just looked at the link; it has some helpful information too.

Thank you John, I'll check the link out this evening.
Regards,
Alan

John,
I was just able to get the volume control today. My Radio Shack has very few electronic parts left. Mostly music and phone gadgets. Had to go to a real electronics store in the big city. Bought a Heathkit receiver kit there 35 years ago.
Might have more questions since I'll have more infomation.
Thanks,
Alan

John,
I followed your test procedure this morning. Everything points to the sending unit as the problem. When I hook my meter to the 2 sending unit contacts I get no ohm reading even when I move the float in the tank by hand. Is it worth it to try to repair the sender? I have read the article about doing this thats at the same site you sent me to. Thanks for your continued help.
Regards,
Alan

Repairing the nichrome wire in the resistor can be pretty tricky, if that's what's wrong; might just be a bad internal connection or a short. You won't know until you pull the sending unit and check it out.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom