Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'71 LS6 spotted!

Corvette
1981 white/blue interior automatic
It was beautiful today, and went for a long cruise. Saw so many 'vettes I can't count. Saw a new C6 peel out tonight as well.. the kid driver was younger than me! Anyways, the highlight was seeing a '71 LS6 convertable... only 188 were made, right?? How many in 'vert form? Is this car really as rare as I think? How much could one go for? Thanks for any info.

-Tatortot

P.S.- Just wanted to add the car was black.. wasn't there no black color option for '71? Maybe it was a clone...

You're very knowledgeable, Tatortot!
Yes, there were only 188 LS6's according to the '71 registry, and black wasn't a color option that year. I guess you'd have to check out the numbers to see if it was real or not. The owner might have just changed the color, as foolish as that would be on such a rare car. Could've also been a clone. -John

Thanks for the compliment JJS, C3's are my knowledge strength. I didn't get a chance to check it out for very long as we were in traffic, but it had the BB hood, and the plate said 71 LS6. I wonder how much its worth... non original color, not the best of condition, but a darn LS6!

-Tatortot

Much more than I can afford!

Could you tell me what state plate was on that LS-6 car? I have been assisting with the 1971 LS-6 Corvette survey since 1987. I can tell you, presently we have accounted for 76 cars of the total production. Currently we have the same ratio of coupes to converts as the overall '71 production is. A 2 to 1 ratio seems to be following with the LS-6 cars as well. We currently have 49 coupes and 27 convertibles in our survey. Most are equipped with M22's, with 12 being M21's and 12 being M40's.

As far as prices go, a '71 Nevada silver convertible, M40, 3:36 ratio in unrestored condition with paperwork sold recently for 135K. A '71 Mille Miglia red coupe, M21, 3:36 ratio in original unrestored condition was bid to 155K and sold later, after auction. I just recently purchased my second LS-6 coupe, I have a M22, 3:70 and a M22, 3:36 ratio coupes. These cars are very rare indeed, and I would like to know a little bit more about the one you saw.

According to Va DMV 71 LS6 is available on a plate but LS6 is not. 22229stingray81is apparently from Va accord 2 his avatar.
There is/was LS6VET in Florida. 1971 454" Was in Corvette magazine Sept 2002.

I have 12,000 or so vanities listed. I can email U the list if U wish. If it is possible U can retrieve any LS6 readings/sayings in a search. State is also listed. I cannot perform the task.
plates@atlanticbb.net

early shark,

It was VA tags. Like I said it was in traffic, and I did not get a very close look, but I am POSITIVE that the plate said LS6. Those prices are a lot more than I would have thought... quite a rarity I observed! Glad to see the person got it out and drove it. Thanks for the information.

-Tatortot

Tatortot,

Thank you. That car could belong to Chuck Berge, he has a '71 LS-6 convertible, and lives in Virginia, or he might possibly know the car. Actually prices for the ZR-2 LS-6 optioned cars are even higher. An Ontario Orange convertible with decked block, modified suspension pieces, but with factory paperwork was bid to 210K, but didn't meet reserve at auction in 2004. Another Steel Cities gray coupe with restamped block and factory paperwork did sell for 195K last year. A War Bonnet yellow coupe, looking quite original and correct was on consignment at Barrett-Jacksons showroom for 475K, and Kevin Suydams Brands Hatch green convertible was listed at a "Buy it Now" price on ebay at 750K.

The 1971 LS-6 Brands Hatch green coupe at Legendary Motors was listed for sale at 100K and just recently sold. It was a M22, 3:08 ratio with dealership/factory paperwork. I wouldn't expect to find any of these cars for less than this price, as a matter of fact with '68 '69 L-88's prices hovering around 295K, most LS-6's should be at 175K or higher.

A '71 LS-6 coupe with M40 and 3:36 ratio has been turning 13.12 @ 107mph in the quarter mile drags. This car has barely over 13,000 original miles. These cars are amazing for a factory 9 to 1 compression ratio!

Vanity Plate Bob,

Thank you for the reply. I have been collecting "Corvette Magazines" for years and have quite a few that have, printed articles on 1971 LS-6 Corvettes. Several cars do show vanity plates, even one of my LS-6's has been on the cover of 'VETTE' magazine twice. Both my cars have vanity plates. I will check with fellow LS-6 owners and see if this is a known car or a new one to add to the Registry. Thanks, again for your help.

Vanity Plate,

Sorry if what I said came off badly, it was not intended that way.

early shark,

Those prices are simply amazing! If you have the capability and desire, why don't you show off your 'vette' corver story LS6's? I would love to see them. Or, do you have the dates? I've been a subscriber for about 4 years now.

Thanks again for the replies.

-Tatortot

Not very computer saavy, when it comes to posting pictures. VETTE magazine July 88 and Feb 92. It's the white car, other car is orange.

I love the 70-71's. Does anyone remember the article in Vette magazine of the couple that purchased a silver 71 L88 Vert? A great article about being persistant for those who remember it, lol!! That car would be at least a portion my retirement hehe. Would I sell it if I owned one? Tough to say really. I could become very attached to that car. Have to keep a few major favorites around just the same to help me forget!!! ;)

You'd blow that engine, Todd.:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom