Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'71 Power Brakes Low Pedal?

xccter

Corvette
71 Ontario Orange 4spd Coupe/88 Dark Red Z52 Coupe
Just happened yesterday.

The brake pedal seems about 2 inches closer to the floor than usual when brakes engage.

Pedal high and hard before I start the car, then as soon as it turns over, the pedal sinks to it's new lower than usual spot.

Still good firm feel, and brakes seem to be working well, but lower than it should be. Doesn't feel mushy like air in the lines. M/C full.

Of course this happened when I'm 96 miles away from all my tools and shop manuals.

Any ideas?

Okay guys. Never mind the original question. The left front caliper has indeed sprung a leak. Off to the parts store! Thanks anyway.

Always replace calipers in pairs is my rule of thumb. Did the rears about 4 months ago (leaky left rear), and knew I should have done the fronts while I was at it. Thanx.

Always replace calipers in pairs is my rule of thumb. Did the rears about 4 months ago (leaky left rear), and knew I should have done the fronts while I was at it. Thanx.

Or better yet, REBUILD both calipers. Rebuilding is really quite easy.

Gary

I want new calipers with stainless sleeves in 'em. I'll get a pair of Wagners "loaded" and ready to put on. Thanks though. I just rebuilt the calipers on my '88 a couple months ago.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom