Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'72 running hot

Dad

Corvette
15Gray/8sp 72Blk/Blk4Spd 64Red/Red/Wht4spd
Out to pickup a load of fuel for a trip out of state tomorrow on a nice 84° day with a strong breeze. Temp just went over 210 and I smell green leaving my pocket, OK it might be something else. Think I'll keep the back two closed for the rest of this trip.

Home and the smell is much stronger and I'm over 210 somewhere, stupid guage. On the lift and getting ready to drain the system and well looky there. Sucked up a dish towel, and I drive through the kitchen so seldom. Covered the lower third of the radiator.

OK, the scare is gone but maybe I do need to get that cooling system refreshed. Looked at my records and it has been 8 years, man they go faster that this car every will.
:):boogie

Time does fly Dad. But is the 64 really more fun to drive? I have an old John Deere G thats fun to drive for 5 minutes or so. The New Deeres are alot more enjoyable for the whole day. Quieter and way cooler. Perhaps like your 05. Have fun traveling the great USA. Tracks1

Strange you would mention John Deere, I put more seat time in a 60 than I care to remember. In the spring we were all required to put in our 8 hour shift. The muffler never made it through planting season as it would turn nearly white hot and just erode away. Some of that was boring but still there was some peaceful times riding in the cool of the night. Never farmed with a cab and started with an IH F-12 with spade lugs that put plenty of sand up were it would blow onto my sweaty body. Still that was better then tying wires on a baler.

To answer your question, yes, I think the '64 is more fun but it's restricted to short trips by historical plates. The '05 makes some 10 hour trips and I enjoy the comfort but still think about doing that some day in the '64. The '72 comes in last and just doesn't feel as good on the road , more like a lead sled, but a fun one.

We had a late model 60 with the six-speed, no hi-low also. It ran the lead pipe white hot also. Back when they cultivated, we use it primarily for that and planting until the planters got wide. I bought and have 4 of the five 2 lungers we had at my parents Big D auction, except, regettable, the hand start styled cast frame B. I understand the inference to the past and agree but I really like the spoiling of the new. Speaking of the past my uncle now passed that I spent hours pulling wrenches and fetching and gophering for used to tease me about the feminine counterparts. He would only offer this advice constantly. Son, women are a lot like farming, always plow deep and cultivate often. I really miss him now, kind, gentle and soft spoken, a korean decorated vetern (hand to hand). Some nights I can still hear the steady 1125rpm cadence of the old Johnny Pops.

Are you trying to highjack this thread?

If you got everthing just right you could get that ol 60 pulling hard enough that it would lift the front end with each pop.

As far as woman I learned something about that on the ol 60. An underclass woman saw me out there one evening and stopped to say hello. Hours later after riding around sitting behind me in that little seat my furrows were not as straight as before. It didn't seem that crowed but she took her top off anyhow.

LOL, Yes there are those memories also. I won't hi-jack it any more, but don't forget, late at night, in the dim glow of the head lights, what every young boy wanted to see at the end rows. As that dream came true for you. Enjoy your family and your toys. Thanks for the trip back to a simpler time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom