Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: '73 hood heat shield.

lagnaf

Corvette
1973 pearl white roadster
I'm needing some advice from the obviously more leaned C3 owners. I own a 73 and am wanting to buy a head shield for the hood. The car originally comes with an air cleaner that has a "collar" that forms a seal with the top of the air cleaner and the hood. Since I bought the car without it's heat shield I'm assuming their was a hole in the shield to accommodate this. I've since replaced the air cleaner with one without the collar. Long story... I know.

Question... would it be prudent to order a heat shield from an earlier model that doesn't accommodate such a design?

You didn't like the answers you got over on the CF? :rotfl

Just trying to get as many opinions as I can. There are too many Corvette owners out there to not seek everyone's advice. ;shrug

Question... would it be prudent to order a heat shield from an earlier model that doesn't accommodate such a design?
Prudent? I guess it depends on what you're being prudent of, so to speak. ;shrug

The so-called heat shield doesn't shield much heat. Many guys just toss them if they're dirty. If you want to restore your 73 back to factory correct at some point, using the wrong heat shield would be a step backward.

If you've disabled or removed the cowl induction system and want to hide it's existence for esthetic purposes, an uncut heat shield might do the trick but keep in mind the earlier hoods aren't as long as the 73 hood and the attachment points might not line up.

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom