Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: '73 rubber bumper

lagnaf

Corvette
1973 pearl white roadster
I must replace the bumper of my '73 and I'd like to do it myself. Any tips or pointers on how to do it without breaking or ruining it?.... other than the obvious option of just taking it to a body shop... which I'd like to avoid.

Thanks. ;help

The assembly instruction manual (AIM) shows the installation of the original urethane cover. Any good quality replacement cover should install in exactly the say way. If you go with Tru-flex or hard fiberglass, you can expect to have to fit and trim the new cover as you go.

:)

The TruFlex is a great product that combines the consistency of fiberglass with the resilience of rubber. There is a kit that includes fasteners that are a lot easier to install the bumper cover than the original fasteners. I suggest that you install for fit and minor body work filler, then remove it and paint it off the vehicle before final installation.

The TruFlex is a great product that combines the consistency of fiberglass with the resilience of rubber. There is a kit that includes fasteners that are a lot easier to install the bumper cover than the original fasteners. I suggest that you install for fit and minor body work filler, then remove it and paint it off the vehicle before final installation.

Interesting... why paint it separate from the vehicle?

I was told that when its painted on the vehicle that the paint cracks in the seam and doesn't look good.

Correct - that's why it was painted separate from the body when the car was built; in addition, the original urethane fascia used a different paint than they used on the body, with a flex agent in it.

:beer

Correct - that's why it was painted separate from the body when the car was built; in addition, the original urethane fascia used a different paint than they used on the body, with a flex agent in it.

:beer

Would this flex agent be difficult for the paint shop to find and apply?

No. Flex agent mixes with the paint and has been used for years on body color rubber parts. The paint shop folks will know all about flex agent.

No. Flex agent mixes with the paint and has been used for years on body color rubber parts. The paint shop folks will know all about flex agent.

I hear (read) what you're saying. What I'm talking about is the paint that collects inbetween the bumper and the body when its painted together. Because they are made of diffferent materials and will flex, the chance of the paint cracking I believe is greater - don't you think?

Don't get the wrong idea about the word "Flex" in Trueflex bumpers. You'll be hard pressed to notice any difference between a true fiberglass bumper and a Trueflex bumper, I've had both. The Trueflex is NOT like the flexible Urethane bumber that was used by GM. It is a little more plyable than the straight fiberglass one but not that much. Most likely you'll wish you'd have chosen to change the motor and transmission rather than change the bumper!! It wasen't my favorate job, I'd never do it again!

Don't get the wrong idea about the word "Flex" in Trueflex bumpers. You'll be hard pressed to notice any difference between a true fiberglass bumper and a Trueflex bumper, I've had both. The Trueflex is NOT like the flexible Urethane bumber that was used by GM. It is a little more plyable than the straight fiberglass one but not that much. Most likely you'll wish you'd have chosen to change the motor and transmission rather than change the bumper!! It wasen't my favorate job, I'd never do it again!

It was a royal pain in the ass. I ended up gluing some of the letters into the bumper b/c I couldn't get all the fasteners on.

I hear (read) what you're saying. What I'm talking about is the paint that collects inbetween the bumper and the body when its painted together. Because they are made of diffferent materials and will flex, the chance of the paint cracking I believe is greater - don't you think?

Yeah, I think I know what you're getting at. That's a good point.

Would a flex agent in paint help to combat the natural expansion and contraction during cold and warm weather? I keep my car in a garage but it's lacks proper climate control.

Yeah, I think I know what you're getting at. That's a good point.

Would a flex agent in paint help to combat the natural expansion and contraction during cold and warm weather? I keep my car in a garage but it's lacks proper climate control.

You're still going to get paint filling in the gap. It sounds and is much easier to paint it on the car, and most low-end body will do it that way. Checked around with body shop and see what they recommend. The TruFlex may require some patch and fill as well. If so, then it has to be fitted on the car and then removed to be painted.

You're still going to get paint filling in the gap. It sounds and is much easier to paint it on the car, and most low-end body will do it that way. Checked around with body shop and see what they recommend. The TruFlex may require some patch and fill as well. If so, then it has to be fitted on the car and then removed to be painted.

You've definitely convinced me about painting it separately. I would have never thought of it.

You've definitely convinced me about painting it separately. I would have never thought of it.

The only other problem that you need to think about is the color match. Generally a good bodyshop can feather the color so that you don't see the potential fade that you have with reds and some other colors. If the bumper cover is off when painted it may not match -sorry I'm not trying to make something harder than it is.

The only other problem that you need to think about is the color match. Generally a good bodyshop can feather the color so that you don't see the potential fade that you have with reds and some other colors. If the bumper cover is off when painted it may not match -sorry I'm not trying to make something harder than it is.

If it were easy this whole thing wouldn't be fun. And at least you're telling me this now (with a straight face in the picture) rather than me finding out the hard/expensive way.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom