Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'73 Shifting Question

C3Vette Lady

Corvette
1981 Red Coupe, 1973 Big BlockStingray
Does anyone with a '73 manual big block know for sure if one needs to depress the lever on the shifter to come OUT of reverse to neutral????? I have tried both ways and can't figure out which is the correct one...:eek

Nope, you only have to lift the t handle to get into reverse.

Mike

The reverse lock out, the "T" handle on the shifter, should be only to keep you from accidently putting the car in reverse, should not effect taking it out of reverse.

tom...

Shifting from reverse responses

Thanks for your help and I love the "73 Spot" (sounds like G spot) site! Gotta get pics taken of my custom plates on my '73 (VETRESS) and send in. :J

When the car is on level ground,

and the engine is off.... does the car shift SMOOTHLY from any gear into reverse ( with the clutch in )?

And does it "feel" the same with the engine running?

If not...you might have to adjust the linkage for the clutch to get more
dis-engagement ( more pedal )

Have the linkage lubed for the gear shift while your doing maintance.

It helped on my 73 ( small block )

Vig!

Reverse Shifting

Mine clicks too, but I find that I have to wiggle it around a bit first to make that click happen. If I am backing out of the driveway onto the street, which is busy, I have to make sure I allow enough time to play with it to get it to leave R and go into 1st. It is not a quick and smooth operation. Seems like it should be. I will try that process Vigman suggested. I just don't want to be rear ended trying to switch gears! Not quite ready to wrap my ass in fiberglass!!! Thanks for your ideas--

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom