Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

73 Suspension

“Do it”. Change all the parts, even though you might run into some expense, shop around for excellent quality parts as a kit at a great price.

Polyurethane all the rubber that you can get to, I did and I don’t regret it for a minute, “but” while you have the a-frames off get them cleaned and if you can afford it get them powder coated, this way if you do a frame restoration your 1/8 of the way there and you wont have to pull off the joints "again", its just a tape job.

Luckly the Corvette shop thats doing the work, cleans and repaints everything that is removed and reinstalled. So what I will end up with is a new looking front end. Probably why it cost a little more. I trust them and they have done a great job on things for me in the past. I cant wait to get it in and get it back. I'll update everyone when I get her back. I'll even try to take a few pictures.

Well, got her back from the shop with all that wonderful new stuff installed. WOW! I now realize just how loose she was. The new suspension is VERY tight. Ended up having to put in a few extras. Everything on the steering had to be replaced, excpet the pump. They were leaking, and I decided to do it right. Cornering is incredible! She is quite a bit rougher, but takes them better, if you know what I mean. Going down the highway is a real thrill now. She tracks true and is extra responsive. Found that my rear trailing arms are going to have to be replaced, but not soon. I had the guys check on possible rebuild, but I have too much rust (no real surprise). However, that means that I have to start saving for a $2-3,000 rebuild back there. The dog bones will need attention too. I will probably plan to redo the entire rear end. Really, if I get all that done everything underneath should be tip top. Steering is taking some getting used to. The new stuff is stiff. I have to make a point of returning to center. Overall, I am very happy. Everything looks great and handles even better. I'll try to get a few pictures taken and post them. This almost makes up for the keying! OH, if you were wondering, all the work up front ended up costing right at $3,000

$3K? Wait till you get into the rear... :D

A rebuild like that can be night and day for a car, it's great.

Enjoy!

These are the things that wear over time and make a car feel old. By putting fresh stuff in there, that car has a new lease on life for a very long time.

Now you need to look into doing some Solo II autocross in your area. Nobody expects you to come right out of the box and win a trophy, and you may never catch a well driven acura integra, but you will have more fun in a matter of about 60 seconds than you have ever had behind the wheel of a street car. Plus you can do it with confidence that the suspension is tight.

I can sqeeze a dime out of a nickel

Chris, I'm going to exchange all my money for nickel's and bring'em all to the Sharkfest and try to hold you too it.

Then I'll have enough to build the motor I've dreamed about for so long.

Rick

HiJinx, What vette shop did you use? I have a 73 and I'm in the Dallas area and have been looking for a good shop. I have made the dealership mistake myself and hope to never do that again. The worst thing was they left the top down in the shop and the birds in the work area crapped all over my interior. They cleaned most of it up but I'm still working on the sun visors!!!!

Tim,
I used Corvette's of Dallas. Its where I bought the car. They have been really good so far. Jeff is the parts guy and Keith is the service person. You can reach them at 972-242-7665. They have done numerous jobs for me and have always gone the extra mile. Their prices are pretty good on parts too. I trade off, getting stuff from them and from some of the mail order shops. If you take them a price from a mail order catalog they will normally beat it by a few bucks. Jeff was able to get me a better deal on the VBP stuff than I could get. This worked out well, as I already had the rear leaf from the suspension package I wanted. I basically broke even once they added in the cost of the front end rebuild kit. I figure I saved around $200 on all the parts. They also sandblast and repaint any part they reuse. I have gotten to know the guy that does most of the hands on work too. He is a really good guy. Very in to what he does. They seem to shoot straight as well. I needed to do more but they said I could wait on brakes and the rear arm rebuilds. Basically, I have not had a bad experience with them. I even feel like I got a great deal on the car when I bought it. How often does that happen when your buying from a dealer!:t

Thanks for the info. I will give them a call. I had tried to get it in to Performance Restoration in San Antonio because I had seen some of their work and was very impressed with it. The only problem is they are full and can only take 13 or 14 cars at a time and they are booked.

I'm still trying to figure out if I got a good or a great deal on mine! I love the car but it need a little more than I was led to believe it needed. So far I'm in to it for a new heater core and rebuilt rear-end and a few u-joints....

My wife calls it the money pit!!!!!!

HA! Dont feel too bad. After 20 years (this year) my wife has given up even griping about it. I found out that if they dont leave they get over it.

Tim, I have never bought an old car (and my wife can tell you I have bought lots) that the owner didnt think was cherry! You get into them and see just what the previous owner was overlooking. Here is the best story I know.

A guy bought a "perfect" C3 shark for around $26,000 from an individual. He took it in to the guys at COD because it felt a little sloppy and "had a few leaks". $10,000 later he got his "perfect" shark back. Total suspension rebuild, rear end, bottom of the engine, trans. He paid for it, because he loved the car.

They may not give you the news you want, but they will be honest.

Let me know when you slide by there and I will try to meet you there. Are you a member of a local club? I'm in CCT. Let me know.

Jinx, unfortunitly my wife knows me too well to complaine too much...
I will let you know when I take it over. Would love to let you give mine a drive and see how you think it compares to yours. I'm wiating on a new 454/435 to replace my original 454. I'm afraid of doing something bad to it so I'm pulling it out and putting it up! When the weather get nice we need to get together and give the local neck DR some business. The sight of both of them going past just might snap a few necks!!!!
I have been out on the net looking for a club but haven't had any luck finding one that I thought I would like. Does "CCT" have a web sight. I need to join one before NCCC convention in indy.....

Tim

Tim,
Here is CCT's web site;
http://www.applink.net/cct/

I know a few guys in it, but have just recently joined myself. They require NCCC membership as well, but I expected to join that anyhow. They hold meetings every third Friday of the month at Friendly Chevrolet. It was convenient for me, as I work near there. Seems to be a good group with numerous events each month. Pretty strong membership as well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom