Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

73 Tilt/Telescopic "Play in Column"

S

Steve's73

Looking for suggestions on fixing up and down play in the steering column.

Steve,

First you will have to tear it down. When you get in there you will either find loose bolts, or worn out pins. Check with the dealer, and or call your claims department with you auto insurance company. They should be able to direct you to a speciality company that repairs damaged steering columns. The car thiefs keep these companies busy, and often they are mobile. Usually for $175 and up they will come to you, tear down and rebuild your column on the spot. You will have to give them plenty of notice so they can make sure they have parts in stock for your unit.

Let me make myself clear. I am not suggesting your insurance company pay for it, just direct you to the vendor they use for column repairs. We have a company here called BLC Automotive. No flat rate shop can compare with them since this is all they do.

Many people here at CAC have tackled this job on their own and been successful. Just keep track of all the parts as they come out. You will be able to recognize the problem when you get to it---------that is either the loose bolts or worn tilt pins.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom