Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

74 Muncie Trans codes

74 454

Corvette
1974 Brown Coupe 454 4-speed
I have an unrestored 74 454 4-speed. Where exactly is the P number that tells you what ratio muncie you have along with the date it was built? Is it on the passenger side main housing where the US Patent markings are? I could not find it there. Is it rearward and downward from there and still on the main housing? Is the print much smaller than the US Patent print?

Code is located vertically on the right side of the case just ahead of the extension housing. The last letter will be the first gear ratio. A=2.52:1 and B=2.20:1. If you find the code, post it hear and I can tell you the MFG date.

74 454 and M21 muncie production numbers

For the 74, the production numbers are confusing to me. In particular, 454 option 3,494 built and the manual M21 option also 3,494 built! This doesn't make sense to me. I know I've seen many 74 454 with the turbo 400 automatics. Where are these taken in account? Did the two numbers really just happen to come out the same?

the build

hi 74 454, the total build for 74 was 37502, 350 was 34008 , 454 was 3494 , total autos 25146, total m21 4 speed close ratio 3494, total m20 4 speed wide ratio 8862, so if you have a 454 close ratio and its numbers match, fairly rare . regards wayne.

Thanks everyone for your help. I finally found the P number towards the rear. Had to do some heavy duty cleaning. But I do have an M21 close ratio B. And the VIN number matches up. So it's original, and a low production run.

Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for your help. I finally found the P number towards the rear. Had to do some heavy duty cleaning. But I do have an M21 close ratio B. And the VIN number matches up. So it's original, and a low production run.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom