Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

74 no start

B

BADWILLIE

can someone steer me in the right direction ... i have a 74 coupe that will not crank over after shutting the car off . did an electrical test says all good . but i changed the battery alt and starter . still did not fix the problem . also when i get it running it charges on the high side of the guage . could it maybe be a neutral saftey switch or a bad key switch ???? help summer is ending and dont want to drive and get stuck in no mans land thanks

Vapor lock

I have a 78 that does not have this problem but did have a 79 Trans Am that did. I think you are getting vapor lock. Does it only happen when the car is hot and you try to restart it?

sorry let me explain its electrical . i have no power at the key . but everything in the car works . something is shorting in the car i think . today we are checking all the grounds pulling the car apart looking .

well today we tried all the grounds in the car found one loose and one broken . fixed them but that was not the problem . does anyone have any ideas . now dont know where to look when i get the car running and put a load tester on the battery it says the system is charging fine . but the guage on the dash is charging on the high side yet . for such a simple car to work on im stumped help

It could be your neutral saftey switch... Or it could be your seatbelt saftey relay. That's the weird looking relay center mounted to the top of the firewall infront of the passenger. Give those connections a good cleaning and ensure nothing is rotten out.

I have an extra NOS saftey switch if you want to try it send me a PM.

Thanks,
Dave

thanks i will give it a try today . will that relay be on the engine side of the firewall or in the passenger area of the car . just so i know where to look . . again thanks and will let you know what happens

thanks i will give it a try today . will that relay be on the engine side of the firewall or in the passenger area of the car . just so i know where to look . . again thanks and will let you know what happens

It's on the engine side of the Firewall on the passenger side, right on top. It's a plastic housing (tan/orangy in color) with wires running up to the back of it, and if your's is still intact, it has a relay plugged into the front of it.

Does it start ok after cooling off?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom