Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! '75 blinker trouble :/

james_4182

Corvette
1975 L-48 Red Coupe
My cars blinkers are being screwy. The only one that will blink is the rear passenger one. The indicators don't flash so I replaced the little cylinder relay and it ticks on and off but it still has the same problem. Could it be the piece in the steering column and if so what's the easiest way to get in there? Hope someone knows where I'm coming from, any advise is appreciated.

I had the same problem with a '77 vette. You would first want to check all the grounds on every place dealing with the turn signals. I pulled the steering wheel and replaced the turn signal switch, but that didn't correct the problem. (I still have the switch). To make a very long story short--my problem came down to being a faulty rear light bulb. It tested good all the time with an ohm meter, but somehow it must have had an internal short. I replaced all light bulbs with good quality bulbs and never had any problems afterward.

Do the front ones work like normal?
It could be like mine and the bulb fell out of the lens. luckily that's an easy fix :) I hate electronics

I have a feeling it's a short. When I first got it the steering wheel was real shaky so I took it apart and found out that this little stablizer gear looking thing in front of the blinker mechenism was under the seat?!? So I put that back in it's place but before all that I unscrewed the hazard knob and the internal piece fell deeper in the column. I really didn't worry about it much because the hazards didn't work anyways. But now that I think about it that might be it -_- the lights have been giving me trouble since day one with a tail lights wires reversed. Was changing that mechenism in the column a pain? I couldn't figure it out when I first took it apart. Thanks.

Think it's time for a new TS switch. RockAuto has them 23.99 w/o T&T & 53.79 w/T&T.

I found that it was the t/s switch and went and got a t/s switch but I cant figure out howto get the old one out and the new one in. Any advise?

You have to pull the steering wheel to get to the switch. Get yourself a steering wheel puller to make the job easier. After you get the steering wheel off, it is pretty well self explanitory from there. Make sure you are careful how you route the wires. Good luck!

Also do yourself a favor and tie a string to the plug end of the old switch befor you pull it up the tube then when you put in the new switch tie the string to the new plug and use it to help draw the wires back down the tube.

Yeah that's a good idea just when I was looking at it yesterday the small area where all the wires go through looked way to small to get the whole thing through. -_-

It was a huge pain, I had to place the wires from the new assembly in the old ones connector. This was the easy part! Sliding it back in through the column was a sinch. Upon taking the column apart I notice these ball bearings rolling around on the bottom. Oh great! Thank God there was a corvette shop close by. Got a new bearing ring and ball bearings, now it turns like a champ! But I didn't have a puller so putting it all back together was a bit daunting. Thanks for all the help though!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom