Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

76 clunking sound in left rear

E

Edj

There appears to be a clunking sound coming from my 76's left rear. I notice it after driving for awhile, stopping then starting a slow roll. No sound when driving at speed. Anyone have any ideas?

Welcome to Corvtte Action Center!

Does it also make the clunk when you put it in drive or reverse?
Sounds like a u-joint may need to be replaced.
Heidi :w

Your not alone, check out the thread titled ‘Rear Wheel Noise’. Some other of us are getting the same, or like, noise.

Welcome

Jim

Mine had a "rough" noise turning while turning. I replaced the differential fluid, added two containers of posi lube and everything is now fine.

Beware, I had the differential fluid changed a year or so ago and suspect that that the additive was not added.

Wow, I can't believe how many of us C3ers are having a rear noise. I'm talking to vettedude73 and he has one too! Must be a virus going around. :D

Mine "had" one too....

the first time i heard it, sounded like i should have had parts in the road...the world just passed thru the rearend...soooo I took it to a trans shop i trust....looks like the U-joints on the rear shaft to the right rear wheel were toast.....and so was the emergency brake parts inside of the drum....he said the drivers side had been repaired at one point , and the passenger side was factory original...still had the rivits in it....not sure what he meant but i think the rotor wont come off unless the rivits are drilled out...so he replaced both U-joints on the passenger side and inspected the rest....im good to go...i have to fix the emergence brake now...looking for all stainless....bottomline...i was driving on 31 yr old U-joints...in storage , run to Auburn for cruise fest....hit some rain along the way...come home , back to storage , making things worse on those little bearings...Find a shop you trust and have all of the U-joints inspected....i didnt know this car had so many of them!
Good luck, chas
PS.. the above repair cost me $300...:w

Clunking sound

Mine was making a similar noise, I had the rear end drained and new GM differential grease with bottle of the GM posi additive and the noise was gone, that was 6 months ago and still working fine.

THAT GM STUFF IS JUST LIKE MAGIC............DON T KNOW WHY GM DOES ' t PUT IT IN THEIR END OIL......... GUESS IT MUST BE THE BUCKS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom