Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

76 Differential Housing

F

fasterthanu

Are these hard to remove? I have to send my differential housing to a guy in beloit, will do 3.70 upgrade, plus posi rebuild for $630. I wanted to have this done, and shops charge over 1k because they are removing it. I have a 74 service manual, lost my 76 supplement... Is it the same on a 76 vette as a 74? Doesn't look bad at all, or am I sadly mistaking....

I am writing this believing you have not done this before.
The removal is the same as the 74. I pull the housing with the drive shaft all at one time. I made a pulling bracket to mount to my floor jack so that it would not fall off just to make it safer.
To remove the spring bolts you need to clamp a bock to the spring to jack up on to remove the spring bolt.
Next you need to remove the shock mount bolt this will require you buy the proper tool to drive it out without damaging it. Try it with out it and you will be buying new ones. You may need a torch to loosen the metal sleeve in the bushing from the shaft.
Remove the strut bar bracket then the half shafts remove the two mount bolts at the ends of the mounting bracket. The bracket may fall loose but most of the time I have to pry it loose. Let it fall on to a floor jack and just work it out from under the car.

I forgot the most important part the side yokes. If you are planning on pushing this car or auto crossing it you will want to replace the GM side yokes which are probably wore out anyway. The best ones on the market come from International axel, Mid America sell them as there high performance 602-950 at 229.99 each. Don't use the rebuilt ones unless your are just going to drive the car.

I appreciate the tips. Will be doing this in a week or two. Thanks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom